Does SlideIn combined with eNewsletter do everything...

I'm thinking of combining SlideIn to add to my user/subscriber list, and eNewsletter to send newsletters, etc. I currently use AWeber, but from looking at these two plugins it seems to me there is really no reason for using an autoresponder company...it looks like these two combined do it ALL.

Two questions:
1. Am I missing something? Is there something AWeber does that would make me want to keep it?
2. Can I import the list(s) I have from AWeber into my site's users/subscriber list(s)?

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @Bob,

Using a third party service like AWeber or Mailchimp would keep the email processing off your server. If you have a massive (several thousand) mailing list, a third party service might be better to keep the load off your server. Otherwise you may have to do batches, and have your emails go out over a period of time.

And yes! You can import lists into e-Newsletter. It's a CSV import though. So you'll need to export your Aweber contacts first. Then open in a spreadsheet program like excel to get only the data needed. Then you would save as a CSV.

The columns you'd need in the spreadsheet are:

Email,FirstName,LastName

So you could delete anything else given from AWeber. The first and last names are actually optional as well

Best regards,

• Bob
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Alexander...don't you EVER sleep?...lol

You have generated two more questions:

1. " If you have a massive (several thousand) mailing list, a third party service might be better to keep the load off your server. Otherwise you may have to do batches, and have your emails go out over a period of time."

I'm on a dedicated server, and my hosting company limits the number of recipients per hour you can send to ONLY on shared servers, not on dedicated servers. That takes care of this problem, right?

2. Can I add a field to assign user roles in the spreadsheet and bulk assign everyone to "subscriber" so they already have the role assigned when the field is imported into the users in the WP install?

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @Bob,

Sorry for the delay (I suppose I do sleep) As for the server, that sounds great. Shouldn't be a problem then.

The importer actually isn't going to be creating user account. It will simply add subscribers to the e-Newsletter member list for you. So there wouldn't actually be user accounts to add roles to.

As for slide in: Yes, you could simply use a shortcode in a Slide in message to handle this. For example:

[enewsletter_subscribe show_name="0" show_groups="1"]

Best regards,

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.