does Social theme properly implement the WordPress 3 Menu System?

Hi,

I trust you are having a wonderful day!

I just installed UberMenu for use with Social theme. Does Social properly implement the WordPress 3 Menu System, using the wp_nav_menu() function with the theme_location parameter?

Just asking because the output isnt looking right and the answer to the above will let me know I need to get into the CSS.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

David

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi @David

It sure does.

But, as frabjous as Uber Menu is (I'm addicted to it myself), it does hijack the theme menu. So results can sometimes be a bit unpredictable.

You would need to enable anything but a preset style, then play around to get things looking the way you want them.

• David
    • Flash Drive

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the tips. Pls help me understand you well... so you are saying I should NOT use any of the preset? If so, since you are an experienced UberMenu/Social user, which of these UberMenu options would you pick yourself to make UberMenu fit visually with Social in the easiest, fastest way possible:

Style Generator - If custom file is not writable, adds <style> tags to <head>
    Custom - Load ubermenu/custom/custom.css. Always use this file for customizations!
    Do Nothing - I will manually include the skin styles elsewhere, like in my style.css.

Thanks and have a great Friday!

David

• David
    • Flash Drive

And just to add on to my last reply, is there any reason why although I have checked the Activate MegaMenu and Full Width Submenu boxes, I am still getting the normal Flyout menu instead of a mega menu? Is that Social ignoring the setting or....????

• David
    • Flash Drive

OK, going forward, I tracked down some advice on fixing some of the issues but I am a bit lost.... pls help me understand this... it says:

Residual scripting and styling from the theme is affecting the menu display. The Solution: In the vast majority of cases, residual scripting goes hand in hand with residual styling, and is resolved the same way (by changing the ID or class of the root element). In some cases, the script targets the menu too generically (for example, something like $( ‘#header ul’ ) instead of $( ‘#navigation ul.menu’ ) ). In this case, the offending javascript will have to be tracked down and removed manually.

OK.... I kinda get it but... what does it want me to do to Social? How and where do I apply the above recommendation?

Thanks again for your help,

David

• David
    • Flash Drive

Just to give you an idea of how things are looking for me, I am attaching a screenshot. I have used a preset UberMenu style and clicked on the Activate Mega Menu and Full Width Submenu check boxes, and I have the top level plus 2 sublevels and it should thus work as a proper mega menu as shown in the demo on http://wpmegamenu.com/, so it is obvious Social is in the way, just wondering how to sort that according to the instructions before?

I also found these help files expanding on the solution, and I kinda understand them, but please help me clinch the exact solution as I am a bit clueless on implementation. I have IT skills of moderate level so I can fix CSS/JavaScript/PHP if i am given precise directions. Anyways, here is what I found:

http://support.sevenspark.com/diagnosis/residual-scripting-from-the-theme/?term_ref=17

http://support.sevenspark.com/diagnosis/residual-styling-from-the-theme-is-affecting-the-menu-display/

Please help :slight_smile:

Thanks!!!

• David
    • Flash Drive

Patrick, just to add on, we tried solving this with Ari on Live Support but could not. We switched to TwentyTwelve to check and that worked perfectly, when back to Social it totally breaks down as detailed above. Let me post the TwentyTwelve screenshot...see attached. As you can see, it is totally fine there.

Any chance you can assist me soonest so I can launch the site tomorrow as we have old clients awaiting the relaunch. I put the site on maintenance to migrate to WPMU themes and plugins (so far, I am so happy I did so!)

If you like, I can PM you admin access. Thanks!!

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi @David

Sorry for not replying sooner; I was out of town for the weekend. I hope you had a great one!

The Social theme applies some weird filters to the menu, and I'm not quite sure how to recode that.

However, the author of UberMenu has provided a function that enables you to literally place a megamenu wherever you want it in any theme.

For BP Social, the file you'll want to edit is
    bp-social/lib/templates/wp-template/top-bar.php

Ideally, you'll want to use a child-theme for this edit, otherwise you'll need to re-do it every time you update the theme.

In top-bar.php, add the following at line 42:
    <?php uberMenu_easyIntegrate(); ?>

Then comment out this entire function:
    if ( function_exists( 'wp_nav_menu' )

Finally, in UberMenu settings, go to "Theme Integration" and set "Easy Integration" to "On".

You can now select "UberMenu [Easy Integration]" under Appearance > Menus to get stuff playing nicely.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.