Does subsite user registration sync back to master site?

If a user registers on a sub site, does that user get sync'd back up to the master, or should I push all registration to the master site?

• Elliott Bristow
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi @Tim,

The default behaviour of Multisite is that users registering on one site will be pseudo-Subscribers of all sites on the network, meaning they will be able to log in to all sites as if they were already a user with the subscriber role.

If you want to change this default behaviour, I would recommend a plugin like http://wordpress.org/plugins/multisite-user-management/, which gives you a bit of extra control over what roles people get assigned on the various sites on your network.

• Tim
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Alright -- I don't think its behaving correctly then.

I've got 3 sites (well, will be more, but for the sake of example).

Master, Sub 1, Sub 2

After both sub 1 and sub 2 are linked to the master, I created a user on Sub 2 -- I was expecting to be able to log in with that user on Sub 1 and Master, but that user never synced.

• Tim
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I just re-read your post and saw the keyword "multisite" -- I don't have a multisite setup. I wanted to, but when going through the documentation, it says it the first site has to be in the webroot, and it's not the primary domain in my hosting plan -- I have it in a subdirectory of my base install.

Granted, I didn't actually try past reading that, and I should have, but was in bit of a hurry to get the sites up.

I've got everything working now, except that users who register on a sub-site still aren't being synced to the master, and then down to the other subs. Is there a cron job that should run?

• Elliott Bristow
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi TIm,

I may have missed the true purpose of your post. I read this as a general query, but are you having issues with a specific plugin? It sounds like you are trying to use our User Synchronisation plugin? If that's the case I apologise for not picking up on that. If this is the case i can offer some further assistance.

If you are not talking about a specific plugin then you would need a Multisite installation for this kind of functionality. You cannot synchronise users across manually created sub-domains, unless you use a plugin like our User Synchronization plugin.

• Tim
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Yes - I'm using the User Synchronization plugin -- I selected my plugin when I created the post -- I assuming (incorrectly) that it would show up in the post. Sorry. :slight_smile:

Thoughts on the issue w/ updated info?

• Elliott Bristow
    • The Bug Hunter

Very sorry... usually it does link your post to the relevant plugin but evidently on this occasion it didn't. I've updated the thread now.

With User Synchronization any NEW sign-ups will be synced to the parent site, however there is a button on the settings page of the parent site that allows you to manually sync users who were created beforehand, or to synch any who may have been missed for any reason. ("Sync all sites now")

Give that a go and let me know how you get on.

• Tim
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I have tried that -- the sync all did not bring the users from the sub site to the master

EDIT: I'm trying again, just for giggles -- will advise when complete

EDIT 2: First attempt errored out and went to a 404 page -- attempting to try again.

• Maniu
    • Developer

Hey @tim

Would it possible for you to see if your php is in safe mode? Would it be possible to raise php set_time_limit ?

ps. i think you can use Multisite for example with main site having url multisite.domain.com - thats what i do and it works. When you want to sync users both direction, this would be better idea.. what url structure are you using for subsites?

Thanks,
    Maniu

• Tim
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I'm using BlueHost to host my sites -- I'm not sure if they allow me to change the set_time_limit.

For site structure, I've got:
    Master: http://www.domain.com
    subsites: sub1.domain.com. sub2.domain.com, sub3.domain.com, etc...

I've got login cookies syncing across all sub domains, so long as the user exists in all -- enter your plugin... unfortunately, it's not working as advertised.

• Maniu
    • Developer

Hey @tim

Well, would it be possible to contact them? I think it is simply timing out because what you are trying to do is bit server heavy.

Overall, looking at your setup, multisite would be perfect for something like this + its build in a way to share default components, not only users but also plugins, themes and so on.

Thanks,
    Maniu

• Maniu
    • Developer

Hello @Tim

Unfortunately, master site is only syncing one way to all subsites so if you want to use it this way, you would need to point users to this site for registration.

Generally, if you have main domain and many subsites on subdomain and on the same server, i believe WP MU would be very good in this scenario.

Thanks,
    Maniu

• Tim
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey, Maniu -- Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me. I see that the page for the plugin has been updated to reflect this information, but it wasn't that way when I purchased it. I need all subsites to be able to update to the master, then replicate to all other sites.

How do I go about getting a refund as the plugin is not acting as was stated?

Thanks for the help and updated explanation.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.