Does the Affiliate plugin need to use the wp-signup.php page to track referrals

Howdy all,
I may have missed this when I got distracted by something sparkly, but just wondering if the affiliate plugin needs the referrer link to go via the wp-signup.php page so I know who to share the booty with, or can I use a custom registration page. I'm currently using gravity forms for registration but starting to see some cracks and may have to let out the code monkey.
Thanks in advance
D

• aecnu

Greetings D,

Great question!

Though I am not certain if the wp-signup.php has anything to do with it, I would think that it will be cookies that are handling tracking in this case.

But to be safe instead of sorry and get an exact clarification I shall see if I can get the lead developer of the Affiliates plugin in here to assist/advise us if this is actually the case - cookies or wp-signup.php

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings D,

After some testing it is sure the affiliates end user is cookied and then it does not matter the end users entry point, you will know whom to share the booty with

The only weak point as with almost all affiliate tracking is if the person clears there cookies every time their browser closes or something to that effect (but this will not matter in a single session) or worse yet have there cookies completely blocked. However, this is highly unlikely since that would limit there ability to use so many sites and online financial services as well.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• dunskii

Thanks for getting back to me Joe,

Yeah I thought that was the case, but doesn't hurt to double check.
    I have been thinking to add a "who referred you" option in my sign up process, just so if it was a mate who referred them I can sort of monitor it. For when cookies get flushed.

I'll probably start another thread for this but will add it here anyways,
    I use the global footer to point to my site, is there already a beaten path so that if a user is an affiliate the link is changed to their affiliate link..?

D