Does the membership plugin allow controlling of users in the 'admin' section of wordpress?

It seems to have options for it in the rules, that you can add to positive/negative, but when I’ve tried using them it doesn’t seem to ever effect anything, except the membership tab itself.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya @jimmyweb

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

If you totally want to block access to the backend, you can do it via URL groups and block the url from being accessed for the members.

However, if you just want to block certain parts of the dashboard, you can use access levels and define positive or negative rule on what they can or cant access.

Info on how to use Rules can be found in the manual : https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Membership-Documentation-SJC.pdf

I hope that helps.Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers, PC

• jimmyweb
    • New Recruit

Thanks for the quick response.

I was actually looking to allow certain members to be able to view certain parts of the admin.

I’ve set up subscriptions -> access levels, and made sure the users are in the correct ones. The rules I’ve set for example for a ‘super admin’ is positive rule for every single admin menu and sub menu. However, all they can see is their profile and members plugin itself. The rest is not visible.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Jimmy,

Thanks for posting back.

Are you just going to use the membership plugin to restrict access to certain menu items in the dashboard or you will also be restricting some frontend access as well ?

If you are just looking to restrict the menu access then you can use a plugin like : http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/advanced-access-manager/

If you are using Membership plugin to do that, you will have to ensure that the members are on the right access level and the roles in that access level are working fine.

Let me test this out on my lab site and see if I can get it to work.

Cheers, PC

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

I tested this and its working fine for me and I know what the problem is.

First of all, if you dont want those specific members to control the membership plugin functions, remove them from membership admin.

Secondly Make a level which is not public (so that no one can use it while signing up)

Thirdly assign that user to that access level

Then make sure that the member you want to have access to certain menu items can access those menu items on their actual site role.

Eg. a subscriber level member can not access anything but their profile.

So we have 2 solutions now

1: You can use the below

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/advanced-access-manager/

Create a new role and give that access to those menu items.

OR

2: Create a membership plugin access level, define what all menu items will they have access to and change their role to site administrator so that they can see those items in their dashboard.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same and I will be around.

Cheers, PC

• jimmyweb
    • New Recruit

Hi,

thanks for the responses. I tried following your example, and by setting the user to an ‘admin’ in the normal user section, and then using negative rules I was able to re-create what you demonstrated and what I was after in this case. Thank you for your support on this issue, it’s been quite helpful.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.