Does the Membership Plugin disable confirmation emails?

Can someone confirm for me the process the Membership plugin uses to register a user? Does it create a user record in WordPress before going to the payment gateway? If so, does it do anything to delete that user record in the event the payment is not completed? Also, does it bypass the WordPress confirmation email? And finally, is any of this documented anywhere?

• DavidM

Hello mikehenrysr and welcome to WPMU DEV!

Can someone confirm for me the process the Membership plugin uses to register a user? Does it create a user record in WordPress before going to the payment gateway?

Yes, it does. The user account is created, then the payment options are presented. The user will show as "inactive" in the members list unless the option is set in Membership > Edit Options > Enable incomplete signup accounts.

If so, does it do anything to delete that user record in the event the payment is not completed?

It doesn't delete the account, though by default, it leaves the account as 'inactive'.

Also, does it bypass the WordPress confirmation email? And finally, is any of this documented anywhere?

The confirmation email is not bypassed and would still arrive. These particular details aren't documented in the installation guide, though I'll run this by the web developers to see about getting them clarified. In case you haven't seen it already, though, the installation guide is at the following.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/installation/

Cheers,
    David

• mikehenrysr

Thanks for the quick feedback. I have read the installation document.

The user will show as "inactive" in the members list unless the option is set in Membership > Edit Options > Enable incomplete signup accounts.

So if I enable incomplete signup accounts what state will they be in? Will they be incomplete but active? And, if one tries to login, will it ask them to complete their signup? Does it pickup again going out to the gateway to make the purchase?

The confirmation email is not bypassed and would still arrive.

If the user doesn't confirm by email, but they otherwise complete the registration including payment, do the users show up as users or spammers? Will they be able to log in? Or will they be told that they need to confirm their email address?

I'm trying to figure this out because I am migrating to Membership from another solution. I'd like to understand the differences before pulling the trigger.

• DavidM

Hi Mike, sorry for the delay on this one! Let me see if I can clarify.

So if I enable incomplete signup accounts what state will they be in? Will they be incomplete but active? And, if one tries to login, will it ask them to complete their signup? Does it pickup again going out to the gateway to make the purchase?

If you enable incomplete signups it would auto-activate the new users upon signup and require a subscription for them to belong to. Otherwise they would show as inactive in the system. Please see below for a possible alternative in answer to your other questions.

If the user doesn't confirm by email, but they otherwise complete the registration including payment, do the users show up as users or spammers? Will they be able to log in? Or will they be told that they need to confirm their email address?
    I'm trying to figure this out because I am migrating to Membership from another solution. I'd like to understand the differences before pulling the trigger.

Definitely understandable. What I meant by the confirmation email is the message that WordPress sends out upon signup. That message is still sent, confirming sign in credentials. And upon attempting a login using these credentials they would receive an "Account is inactive" message and wouldn't receive access to the site.

You could maybe override this behavior using the free level, where you could perhaps eliminate the "inactive" user status and simply rely on the free level as a way to deliver such messages. This would entail that spammers would receive the same access as free level members, so I'm not sure if this would work for your circumstance.

• mikehenrysr

Thanks for the response, but it's not a solution. It clarifies my problem. To sum up, the Membership Plugin disables the spam protections built into WordPress. That's the behavior I'm seeing so that's according to the design.

Since there's no confirmation email sent that must be clicked to confirm their interest, they show on mysitename.com/members and they get added to my mailing list too. But they're not real people so neither I nor the members, nor Mailchimp, can tell the real ones from the spam ones. At least with normal WordPress they are not visible to the rest of the community. Of course they don't care that they can't get access to my system, they just junk it up. And the Membership plugin, while keeping them from doing anything on the site, enables them to clutter everything up for the other members and my mailing list.

So thanks for clarifying the behavior is according to the design. It won't work for me. Let me know if you ever add some way to clean up after the spammers.

• Barry

Thanks for the response, but it's not a solution. It clarifies my problem. To sum up, the Membership Plugin disables the spam protections built into WordPress. That's the behavior I'm seeing so that's according to the design.

Yes

Since there's no confirmation email sent that must be clicked to confirm their interest, they show on mysitename.com/members and they get added to my mailing list too. But they're not real people so neither I nor the members, nor Mailchimp, can tell the real ones from the spam ones.

Well, I would assume that if they have paid you money then they'll be real. The sign-on process for membership is more complex than the standard WP one, they have to pass a minimum of two levels of forms to get an activated user and one of them requires a payment process on an external site to be completed correctly as well.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.