Does WPMU have a plugin similar to Visual Composer?

Does WPMU have a plugin similar to Visual Composer? I really like the concept of it and was wondering if there is something similar that WPMU does?

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Chris,

Greetings and thanks for your post.

+100 for this idea

Unfortunately currently we don't have anything like the Visual Composer.

However something like that is in discussions at the moment. Whenever we start working on it, it would be informed to our members via our wpmu.org blog :slight_smile:

We hope to do something like that for sure.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• Chris G. Clapp
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Was just thinking a bit more on this.

If y'all were to implement it using bootstrap 3 (or something similar), the responsiveness on it would be incredibly boosted. One of the features of bootstrap 3 is that it adds in the ability to define how it looks as things are getting narrower (i.e. instead of just stacking has the ability to set it to go from 4 cols to 2 or 4 to three to two, etc.)

I really like the way that visual composer gives you the ability to put together complex layouts but this would put it a step above it. Of course then there's the question of how to implement it where it doesn't confuse the end-user, but still, if you can figure that out, you're talking about an amazing plugin.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Chris,

Thanks for your valuable input.

What the designers and developers are working atm on is a super cool theme project which would be responsive however your feedback is much appreciated.

Responsiveness is the first thing and is the most important part of a website now a days.

We are waiting for a beta version for our members (please don't ask for any ETA's as we can't provide them atm) and I am sure ya all are gonna like it :slight_smile:

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks for adding your votes guys :slight_smile: Much appreciated !

IMHO, instead of a visual composer type plugin, I reckon that a theme framework would be a better idea ? What do you guys reckon ?

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• Chris G. Clapp

I see advantages to both directions on that.

With a plugin, it works well for dropping into any theme, which means it's probably more useful beyond themes that are made with a framework.

With a framework you can bake in the features that you would be putting into a plugin.

If I'm developing my own theme, a framework is more helpful; however if I'm using someone else's theme, a plugin is more helpful.

Would it be possible to do both? Basically a framework that bakes the plugin into it?

• Chris G. Clapp

Okay, so had a corny thought that would illustrate what I mean...

So let's say you made a plugin that did a lot of what Visual Composer does. We'll call it "Brown Sugar" (because it's SWEET!!!). Then, y'all made a framework that has Brown Sugar built into it called Cinnamon w/ Brown Sugar (because it comes with Brown Sugar!).

What this would do would be to allow people developing their own themes (or even y'all as y'all are developing your themes for here!) using Cinnamon w/ Brown Sugar so that all that functionality would be baked in.

There is also a decent market for a plugin. There are a lot of themes for sale out there that either don't have a page builder-type of functionality, or they have one that really sucks either because it's confusing or because it's very limiting. This is one of the reasons I like Visual Composer is because it's easy to use; however they don't have the ability to control how things reflow - it's either they are the multiple columns that you initially set or it's stacked. It also stacks at a lower resolution than something like Bootstrap (which is what I use when building my themes). This is why having a plugin ("Brown Sugar") is a good idea.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Chris,

Thanks for your post. I really like the way you illustrated it.

Let me call @Vladislav one of the lead developers working on the theme project to chime in here with his thoughts :slight_smile:

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Chris, I' say the former. You can create your own layouts from what I have heard. It will be clear as soon as the tests are over :slight_smile:

Fla0, really I did not know that ! Let me check on that :slight_smile:

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.