doing a livestream/podcast from a convention via a wordpress site

Hi,
A client that runs a non profit and has a wordpress site will be having its state convention at a hotel in October. They wany to livestream the event through their site. Can you please tell me the following:

What plugin(s) would be necessary to do this?
What Technology is necessary?
Are there any companies that do wordpress live streaming?
What kind of bandwidth is needed?
Are there any resource guides on livestreaming through wordpress?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello cornelius_butler

I hope you're fine today!

There are two ways to do this:

1. you can do this entirely "on your own" using your server and infrastructure
    2. you can use 3rd-party solutions.

The first way is quite complex and would require a really good server (powerful VPS or dedicated server or preferably and efficient cloud) and quite a lot of server side configuration. It's a complex task and the cost might overcome any benefits.

The second solution is actually quite easy and popular. The easiest way to achieve that would be to use... YouTube and it's live streaming feature:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2474026?hl=en

In fact, that doesn't require any any special preparation to your server/site because all you need to do there is to just embed YouTube player, exactly the same way you embed any YouTube video - it's no different from webmaster and end-user point of view. It doesn't also require any more bandwidth than it's required for a regular site traffic.

To stream to YouTube you just need webcam (or multiple webcams) and/or any modern mobile phone(s) with pretty much any stable modern connection. There's more information on this on a YouTube help page that I shared above.

Apart from YouTube there are also some other companies/services that specialize in such sort of streaming, one of well known and long present on the market being:

LiveStream

Another one is a platform extremely popular among gamers and used for live streams with thousands of viewers:

Twitch.TV

Personally, I would just choose YouTube as it's the easiest to implement, popular and well known among potential viewers :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.