Domain and Hosting on a Multisite

Multi Domains, Domain Mapping Prosites, etc. How exactly these work? What's the difference if a client get their own domain name and hosting elsewhere as opposed to using this service especially seeing that I can offer them plugins, themes, anyway on Wordpress?

Can you please clear this up to give me a better understanding? I don't think the demos are too clear to someone who have not yet used these products.

Thanks

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Dave,

Own clients domain is possible on Multisite with Domain Mapping (and Pro Sites) - but not own hosting.
    You - as owner of the WordPress Multisite - are hosting and website provider. With Pro Sites you sell websites (subsites in your Network) to your clients. You manage themes and plugins - you manage upload quotas (see Pro Sites add-ons).
    Domain Mapping plugin will allow for your clients use their own domains - by default they will get url like that subsite.yourdomain.com or yourdomain.com/subsite and with DM they will be able to change that.

MultiDomains is different plugin - you can have more than one top level domain (yourdomain.com, yourdomain1.com, yourdomain2.com) and offer them for your clients so they will be able to choose if they want to have url subsite.yourdomain.com or subsite.yourdomain1.com or subsite.yourdomain2.com.

Reassuming - with Pro Sites and Domain Mapping you can be your clients "hosting" provider that provides not only space on server but whole working site with plugins and themes.
    Hope that helps.

kind regards,
    Kasia