Domain API on WordPress.com..Ideas? Suggestions?

Hey Guys

I was just playing around on WordPress.com to check out their platform to get some ideas. I was surprised to something very interesting which is the ability to search a domain name right from WordPress.com (and I assume purchase but didnt go that far)

I was wondering if anyone here knew how they were doing that? What API are they using? I also noticed GoDaddy and Enom both have domain reseller API's which I was not aware of. Does anyone have experience with any of them?

Would love to hear ideas and suggestions on how the best way to go about allowing people on my network to search and purchase their own domain names. Thanks :slight_smile:

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Mike,

Did you read about WHMCS ?

You can use that to sell domains to your users and using the WHMCS WP integration plugin : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/whmcs-wordpress-integration/

You can integrate your WHMCS site in your WordPress site and people can look for and buy stuff directly from your site.

WordPress.com certainly has gone a few steps ahead and have integrated the domain search in the registration form itself but that should not be impossible to achieve, but will require some custom effort here.

Above that, if you are using https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/whmcs-multisite-provisioning/ then you can sell domains while you can sell subsites on your network using your WHMCS site. So you can sell domains and have them mapped with your clients site using the domain mapping configuration.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same and I will be around.

Cheers, PC

• Mike Price
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thanks PC! I was under the impression that with whmcs that I had to already own the domains that people could then buy from me? If so this would not be a good solution for me

But if I'm wrong please correct me :slight_smile: with go daddy or Enom reselling it seems I do not have to own the domains in order for users to buy them through my site . But hey I might be wrong about whmcs!

• HamRadioDude
    • HummingBird

@ThinkTaiwan Hi
    You do not have to own the domains all you need is a resellers account from Enom and When you Lease WHMCS $15.95 a month or Buy the Owned License There is a link in the Client area that leads you to a free Enom account and also a Maxmind account (Fraud Protection)
    In fact When We first opened the Web Hosting we bought a $99 Reseller API Account and it had Domains that were more expensive then WHMCS's reseller account.
    Wish I would have know about the specials from WHMCS. :>
    Hope that helps You

• Mike Price
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hey

Thanks so much HamRadioDude! I have two dedicated servers with HostGator and each of them come with WHMCS FREE as well as Enom for free! Maybe I should have them help me set it up so I can play around with it.

Every time I think I got things under control, I learn new things and new ideas start springing up haha!

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Every time I think I got things under control, I learn new things and new ideas start springing up haha!

Welcome to WordPress : lol

@HamRadioDude has already given you the best advice. Being a reseller is just like selling something without actually buying it.

You have some money in your reseller account, a user places an order, the money comes to your account and the account balance goes to the registrar and this cycle goes on

Cheers, PC

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

You are welcome Mike :slight_smile:

Having a reseller account can earn you some extra revenue when you are offering a lot of other things. A user typically wants to keep all the services in the same place rather then spreading them out.

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.