Domain Clarifications

Hi,

Can you clarify this from the installation guide:

Default Blog Domain: If the user does not enter a domain, this will be used by default. If you're not using Custom fields (see below) this is the default domain name that will be used with numbers appended (to keep it unique). This cannot be changed later without you editing your database directly

Not sure what it means about numbers appended, can you clarify?

Also, if we want to use domain mapping, does the mapping have to be done at order time via WHMCS, or can users map domains to their sites later by pointing to the IP of the multisite install and adding the domain in the Domain Mapping settings?

Thanks,

Mark

• aecnu

Greetings Mark,

Great questions!

Unfortunately I do not know myself and will certainly seek clarification for us both asap.

Also, if we want to use domain mapping, does the mapping have to be done at order time via WHMCS, or can users map domains to their sites later by pointing to the IP of the multisite install and adding the domain in the Domain Mapping settings?

The later should be correct users map domains to their sites later by pointing to the IP of the multisite install and adding the domain in the Domain Mapping settings

What setup needs to be done beforehand to set up the multisite installation to accept all of those domains?

I would think that the normal preparations for using additional domain with a MultiSite would certainly be in order i.e. the wild card for the domain added to DNS and in some rare cases adjusting the httpd.conf or vhosts.conf files adding the *.domainname.com to the domains server alias portion.

For the question I cannot answer I will ask the lead developer to please come in here and clarify this for us at his earliest convenience.

Cheers, Joe

Dev Note: Can you clarify this from the installation guide:

Default Blog Domain: If the user does not enter a domain, this will be used by default. If you're not using Custom fields (see below) this is the default domain name that will be used with numbers appended (to keep it unique). This cannot be changed later without you editing your database directly

• Arnold

@wpcdn
    I wouldn't use multiple domains on this version. It would require setting up the Multi-Domains plugin and at this point WHMCS doesn't know about that plugin yet. It's on the list. Stick with a single domain for now.

The default domain name is so you can have some name if it's setup without the subdomains where they have to enter one. Since you can't have duplicate domains and the default the is the only one it knows about it appends a number each time a subdomain/subdirectory is added. It's better to set it up to ask for a domain name, but since it's not required by WHMCS this is a catch all.

Domain mapping needs to be done at purchase time. Currently you can't domain map to an existing subdomain from the WHMCS side. You can of course do it manually from Wordpress.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.