Domain Map to Main Site in Network?

Hey guy

Quick question as I couldn't find an answer through google search..is it possible to use your domain mapping plugin to map a domain to the main site in the network? And if so, does this mean that I can then type either of the two domains to access main site? Thanks!

Mike

• Joshua
    • Chief of Keepin' it Fresh Div.

The Domain Mapping description says you can:

This plugin essentially allows you to allow all of your users to map one (or multiple!) domains to their own blogs, so myblog.edublogs.org can now become myblog.com – and, if you wish it, myotherblog.com, myotherotherblog.com can also work on the same blog, at the same time!

I believe you are asking if you can park your domains so that domains you have purchased all point to the same location. This will do that and more for a MultiSite but you may just want to park them using your Host if that is all you are shooting for.

I may be confused as to exactly what you are trying to do but I hope this helps. Cheers!

• Mike Price
    • The Incredible Code Injector

HI

Thanks! sorry i was not clear..trying to rename/rebrand the main site on the network and figured I could probably map another domain to direct to it and when people type in the mapped domain it would still show in their address bar of their browser. Hopefully that makes sense. Not sure if I am actually going to do this but figured it was worth asking just to get ideas

Mike

• Joshua
    • Chief of Keepin' it Fresh Div.

@ThinkTaiwan, Sorry for the misunderstanding :slight_smile: I do not think that is the purpose of the domain mapping plugin.

If you do want to migrate to a new URL there are some great resources to make sure you can get it done right. One can be found here: http://interconnectit.com/719/migrating-a-wordpresswpmubuddypress-website/

This was recommended on WPMU.org.

Some other helpful information can be found on this link in regards to getting your database transfered correctly.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/move-wordpress/

This is not quite as easy as a plugin... but it does make it so your site domain is not hinged on a plugin :slight_smile:.

I hope this helps. Cheers!

• Mike Price
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thank you very much (points sent) I was thinking this would be the case but was hoping for a shortcut haha..anyway I have decided to move in a different direction to avoid having to do too many complicated things. I will make an "umbrella brand" for the sites with just a simple landing page that then directs you to the other sites in the network. Thanks again!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.