Domain Mapping 101

Hello,

Barry thank you for your suggestion in the previous thread: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/domain-mapping-error-could-not-determine-user-from-environment

I continue to have trouble mapping lancesonka.com to lancesonka.builderpress.com

*As a recap I am running wpmu 2.9.1 + buddypress 1.2.1 @ psek hosting with a wp.mu install.

I have attached 4 screenshots showing the current settings in cp @ host, dns @ domain registrar, and wpmu dash.

Please help determine if I have entered settings correctly.

Thank you,any additional feedback is helpful.

Lance

• Lance
    • Flash Drive

Hi Andrew,

I followed the directions here on mapping: http://help.edublogs.org/2009/08/12/using-your-own-domain/

(I am trying to recreate what a user will experience after upgrading to “supporter” with the domain mapping plugin.)

This is the first domain mapping to blog that I have tried on this relatively new wpmu install…

When you say parked, are you referring to setting nameservers @ lancesonka.com dns? or builderpress.com psek hosting account?

Thanks again for your consideration,

Lance

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

You don’t seem to have anything to tell your server to accept any domain other than *.builderpress.com

You DNS is right, and the wildcard subdomain at builderpress is right, BUT if you want a domain mapped you either need a wildcard domain (full domain), or you need to park your new domain at the site.

Edublogs has a wildcard domain set up, so that step is missing from the users instructions as it is a server side issue.

You are literally that one step away now.

• Lance
    • Flash Drive

WHOO HOO! Got it to work, thanks for the help everyone… a problem solved worth the cost of membership.

Edublogs has a wildcard domain set up, so that step is missing from the users instructions as it is a server side issue

@Barry is there a recommended configuration that my host would help setup? (Have a similar setup as edublogs that alleviates that extra step of manually entering parked domains.)

I suppose this is what @jfelton mentioned earlier…

Again, thank you for your help,

• admin2998
    • New Recruit

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is this wildcard domain setup? I don’t understand how to do that…

I am getting that same “Could not determine user from environment” on projectblogs.com. I’m trying to map projectmanagerblogs.com as if I was a regular supporter user.

RE:

BUT if you want a domain mapped you either need a wildcard domain (full domain),

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.