Domain Mapping

I've setup a Multisite and my hosting provider (Rackspace) does not offer Wildcard DNS. In return, I'm manually setting up sub-domains although I'm not reaching the wp-admin login. In return, Im getting a 403 error.

Domain: http://www.intermediacloud.com/

Subdomain:

Any ideas?

Steve

• minglemooch
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi @gist

my hosting provider (Rackspace) does not offer Wildcard DNS.

They are just nasty, my opinion, GET another host. If I am not mistaken you can only do Sub directories then for example (www.yoursite.com/anysite)

You can just change the following in your wp-config.php:

define('SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', true);

To this:

define('SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', false);

Hope this helps:wink:

Regards
    Jp@MingleMooch

• maiki
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

@gist, I am not sure what @minglemooch is referring to, whether Rackspace is "nasty" because of their service, or because of your issue. However, I have used Rackspace for years and I think their service is great (their customer support is sometimes lacking, but I don't need it often).

Also, I use thier DNS for most of my sites (dozens) and I use wildcard DNS all the time.

So if you would like some pointers, you can explain which steps you've taken. Also, you can always get one of their techs in a chatbox and they can help you, too. In fact, once when I couldn't get SRV records updating for jabber service, they set it up for me on 10 domains, so they can help you I am sure. ^_^

• minglemooch
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi @maiki

My Apologies if I offended your service Rackspace, Also depend how you want to use your Wordpress site, If you use it for personal use it would probably be ok to manually add your sub domains, But for more demanding sites that you need to create you would definitely get a host that can do Wildcard

No hard feelings ^_^

Regards
    JP@MingleMooch

• maiki
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

@minglmooch Not really sure about your response... to clarify, I am a user of Rackspace, and they have a DNS service called Cloud DNS, and it is capable of wildcard DNS, and I use it for a variety of sites/networks, in all capacities.

I am guessing you didn't understand my first message, and also that you were judging Rackspace based on @gist's intial post. I think we've cleared this all up. ^_^

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

although I'm not reaching the wp-admin login. In return, Im getting a 403 error.

403 is a forbidden message, you don't have any htaccess files blocking access to you?

Might be best to speak with your host, they should be able to look into this and resolve that quickly.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.