domain mapping

i have only the main site myusalocal.net not the site1.myusalocal.net i.p address is that correct?

i want when people type site1.com the go to site1.myusalocal.net

• Paul Barthmaier
    • Code Wrangler

Hola Miami!

So, a quick story first... When my family visited Key West for the first time, we flew into Miami from LA. After the long and tiring flight, the kids were cranky and as we were landing the girls were looking out of the window. The 6 year old say, "That's Miami?" To which the 4 year screams, "it's not just your Ami, it's My Ami too!" I swear to G*d, I'm not making that up!

Anyway, for the Domain mapping, the idea is that if you have different sites built on a Multisite installation, you can still point them to unique, typically shorter, URLs. In your case, if you own the domain mylocal.net, you could have many different subdomains set up, such as site1.myusalocal.net, site2.myusalocal.net, etc. With domain mapping, site1.myusalocal.net could rewrite to site1.com, assuming you or your customer owned that domain.

The IP of the server on which your files live gets specified in the Network Admin. So if you are hosting your Multisite installation on 201.x.y.z, you would put this server IP address into the domain mapping configuration in the Network admin. For those sites that you want to use the Domain mapping capability, you would specifiy the domain (eg site1.com) that you want the subdomain of the multisite installation (eg site1.mylocal.net) to be mapped to.

And because you've enabled the wildcard domain, anytime a subdomain of mylocal.net is resolved it's going to be pointed to the IP address that you specified in Network admin. Wordpress will then check the database for a subdomain that matches. If it finds one and domain mapping is set up, it will go to the domain you've mapped the subdomain to. If it doesn't find a match, it will ask you to create a new subdomain with the name that was typed in the URL.

Make sense?

• Miami305
    • New Recruit

lol My Ami :slight_smile:

how do i find the i.p of goseoservices.myusalocal.net different from myusalocal.net?

i basically want goseoservices.com to point to goseoservices.myusalocal.net

i have done everything but when i try to complete it doesn,t populate/point to what am i missing?

• Paul Barthmaier
    • Code Wrangler

You only need the IP address of where myusalocal.net is. That's your server. For GoSEOservices.com, no need to know the ip address. In this case, you are telling the world that the files that live at goseoservices.myusalocal.net are going to be mapped onto the domain goseoservices.com. To do this http://goseoservices.myusalocal.net/wp-admin/tools.php?page=domainmapping, then type goseoservices.com into the blank and click Add.

• Paul Barthmaier
    • Code Wrangler

So, the part that you are probably missing is that you need to go to the hosting account of the goseoservices.com and add an A record that points to the IP address that you specified in the Network admin, the ip address of myusalocal.net. There probably is already an A record if it's been added to a hosting account. In this case, just change the IP address from the server it's on to the one you want, the myusalocal.net.

• Paul Barthmaier
    • Code Wrangler

Let's step back for a second. So based on what you write above, that means the IP address you specified at http://myusalocal.net/wp-admin/network/settings.php?page=domainmapping_options is 174.121.38.124, right?

Then, you go to http://goseoservices.myusalocal.net/wp-admin/tools.php?page=domainmapping and enter goseoservices.com.

After that you log into the cPanel for goseoservices.com and change the A record to 174.121.38.124.

Assuming you followed all of the installation instructions at https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/ properly, the only other thing might be that myusalocal.net and geoservices.com are on the same cPanel or server. If that's the case, the geoservices.com should be a Parked domain on the cPanel of myusalocal.net.

• Miami305
    • New Recruit

ok we must be getting closer i followed instructions and i can see the site1.myn.com when i type site1.com however at the top of page i see this:

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: open(/tmp/sess_8696670e24b7c133aeb9d532c002e6ac, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in /home/myusa954/public_html/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/woocommerce.php on line 138

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/myusa954/public_html/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/woocommerce.php:138) in /home/myusa954/public_html/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/woocommerce.php on line 138

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/myusa954/public_html/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/woocommerce.php:138) in /home/myusa954/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache/wp-cache-phase1.php on line 188

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/myusa954/public_html/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/woocommerce.php:138) in /home/myusa954/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache/wp-cache-phase1.php on line 189

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/myusa954/public_html/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/woocommerce.php:138) in /home/myusa954/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache/wp-cache-phase1.php on line 190

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/myusa954/public_html/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/woocommerce.php:138) in /home/myusa954/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache/wp-cache-phase1.php on line 191

• Paul Barthmaier
    • Code Wrangler

Hola MyAmi!

I'm sorry that I missed your message from the other day. The 'errors' that you sent over weren't errors is a technical sense. A 'warning' is different from an 'error'. In this case, my first guess is it has to do with caching, which as you just said, would take a while to catch up! Glad you are good to go.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.