Domain Mapping 401 Inconsistencies

I have created subsites off my multi-site install.

Some subsites display 401 errors when I attempt to visit or view their dashboard.

Other subsites do not behave in this way and actually work. These sites were created in the same manner as the previously mentioned subsites.

I'm matching my subsites with mapped domains.

The subsite that I'd like to match is not working.

Please look into this issue and advise.

Thanks

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello McKinley,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The "401" error means "Unauthorized Access" and is usually result of some kind (often .htaccess) protection applied to the resource (sub-site or its parts in this case).

I checked your site and I can't see any of sub-sites giving "401" error while one of them (ID: 22) is giving the "404" (Not Found) error in dashboard so I suppose this is the one you are referring to.

The same site gives the default web hosting provider page when visited and that means that means that the directory of a name that's the same as the subsite URL exists already. I'm not giving any direct site names here as you didn't do this so let me explain by example:

- the main site is "domain.com"
    - working sub-site is "domain.com/good"
    - not working sub-site is "domain.com/test"

This means that there's a folder named "test" inside the root folder of the "domain.com" domain and most likely there's been an attempt to create the "test.domain.com" sub-domain. I hope you get my point :slight_smile:

To fix this, please first check if there's any sub-domain created in your cPanel with the same name as the name of that sub-site and if it's there, remove it.

If there's no sub-domain of that kind or it doesn't help, access your site via FTP and in a root folder of your main domain look for the folder of that name and remove it or rename it.

I hope that helps. If you need any additional explanation/assistance let me know please and also let me know if I can use real names/adresses of your sub-sites here (that would make explanation clearer).

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.