Domain Mapping

Can I use domain mapping with an add on domain and a shared hosting account? If so what configuration would I need?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Bryan,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Yes, you can use Domain Mapping with a shared hosting account. Plugin setup and configuration would be the same as described on its usage page here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/#product-usage

The "secret" of using it with "add-on" domains is to make sure that the "root folder" for these domains is set to be the same as the "root folder" is for the main domain of your Multisite install.

As a result, all those "add-on" domains when typed into the browser address bar (before being mapped with Domain Mapping) should load the main site of your Multisite (it doesn't matter if the site loads "broken" as long as it loads).

If you have any further questions on this, let me know please and I'll be glad to help.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Zeus
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks Adam. This is what I am doing now.
    The "secret" of using it with "add-on" domains is to make sure that the "root folder" for these domains is set to be the same as the "root folder" is for the main domain of your Multisite install.

Thanks for your assistance,
    Byan

• Zeus

OK. So I have my domain setup. I am able to access my new zeustek.rocks domain and in turn it takes me to my multisite domain located at zeustekpro.com, but I am unable to map the domain using Domain Mapping. Any ideas?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Bryan!

I'm not quite sure about your setup. The zeustek.rocks domain does take me to the zeustekpro.com page but there's a redirect, which shouldn't be happening.

How did you set the zeustek.rocks domain on yoru server? Also, would you mind if I took a closer look at your site's configuration? In order to let me do this you could grant me a support access via WPMU DEV Dashboard. Here's a guide on how to do this:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Adam

• Zeus

OK. So, after reading several online resources I came to the conclusion that I needed to use my default domain on my hosting account with Inmotion Hosting (not what I wanted), but I am able to access my subdomains, but am still having an issue mapping zeustek.rock to my wireframe site.
    Access has been granted on new domain: http://zeustekcloud.com

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Greetings Bryan,

hope you're having a beautiful day and don't mind skipping in! :slight_smile:

I'm glad that you made this work (at least partially) and granting us support access!

Can you please elaborate a bit more on your latest errors though? I understand that you want to map wireframe.zeustekcloud.com to zeustek.rock, but what's the actual error(s) there? Please advise! :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
    Dimitris

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Bryan!

I tried to access the site to check it but again, I'm getting a 404 error meaning that there's no such site (I"m referring to the site where the access was granted).

I understand that you're trying to get it to work as fast as possible but please note: we may not be able to help you if you keep re-installing the site during the troubleshooting process. I'm sure you understand this :slight_smile:

That being said, my suggestion would be:

- make sure that you Multisite is up and running (don't care about mapping domains) and that support access to it is granted
    - make sure that the "domain to be mapped" is set on the server and that its root folder is set to be the same as a root folder of the main domain of your Multisite install.

Then, let me know please and I'll access the site, check its setup and examine the domains and either fix it, suggest a solution or ask you to take some other actions.

I'm sure we'l get it to work that way :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Zeus

Adam, thanks for your reply. This current site is a restore of the original site Iw as working on and has been up since my comment on August 18, 2016. I purposely left the site up so that WPMU could see what the issue might be. I will go ahead and allow for support access once more. August 27th, 2016: 7:44am

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Bryan!

Thank you for granting access.

I checked the site and I can confirm the issue. On some setups though (it's rare case but it happens) - especially in case of shared hosting - the domain may "seem" invalid but will work anyway.

That being said, on a "Network Admin -> Settings -> Domain mapping" page I set the "Verify domain's DNS settings" option to "No". This bypasses the check and lets you map the domain anyway, regardless of possible errors.

I then mapped the domain and I think it's now working fine. Please check this and let me know.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.