Domain Mapping - a couple of questions...

I have a couple of questions on domain mapping... excuse my ignorance - but just need to get my head around this once and for all.

1. Clients need their own stand-alone websites on their own domains. So if I create their site on my multisite and map their own domain to that site - what happens on their own domain if they remove their multisite site? Can they keep everything on their own domain?

2. If their own domain already has a WP site - can I create a multisite site, and domain map - still using their existing site and having THAT on their MS site?

3. Emails... yeah I know - but I still don't have it lol... my clients need their own email addys on their own domains... is this possible with domain mapping? how?

cheers

Stef

• PC

Clients need their own stand-alone websites on their own domains. So if I create their site on my multisite and map their own domain to that site - what happens on their own domain if they remove their multisite site? Can they keep everything on their own domain?

As you would be mapping their domain lets say a.com to their multisite lets say a.yoursite.com then everything would work on a.com

Now, if they remove their multisite site (I am not sure If I understood it right) by this if you mean that if you delete the multisite site or the subsite a.yoursite.com ? Please elaborate

If their own domain already has a WP site - can I create a multisite site, and domain map - still using their existing site and having THAT on their MS site?

Well, this one managed to confuse me :slight_frown:

One domain can only point to one installation at one time. If the client already has a site where WP is installed, and you map that domain to some other site, the previous site would not be working.

Emails... yeah I know - but I still don't have it lol... my clients need their own email addys on their own domains... is this possible with domain mapping? how?

Can't this be done from the Hosting control panel where the domain has been parked ? I am sure it can be as its all together a different service.

I am sure that to get to a conclusion, we would have to do a lil discussion on this post. So I am ready ! Are you ? :slight_smile:

Cheers
    PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.