domain mapping a multi-domain site cause all sites to redirect to the domain mapped

I have setup a domain as multi-domain:

(1) subdomain.otherdomain.com

and created a site under it

(2) subdomain.otherdomain.com/home

now I want to make (2) as (1), it work. But I also want to create another site

(3) subdomain.otherdomain.com/myname

but when I want to access (3), it redirect to (1). Is it a bug or it could not handle my requirements?

My objective is to be able to use 1 wordpress installation but can use multidomain & domain mapping to look like I have multiple wordpress installation.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there,

Hope you're well today.

You didn't provide any domain names so I couldn't check them or do an DNS lookups.

Looking at your description you're using this on a subfolder installation of multisite, is this correct?

If that is the case then this wouldn't work as per the usage instructions:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multi-domains/#usage

Please note: Multi-Domains is for sub domain installations only and will not work well for subdirectory installations.

What you could do is move this to a sub domain installation, depending on how many sites you have this could be trick to do as it will require some DB work as well as changes to wp-config and htaccess.

If it is a sub domain install then please let me know and we can continue to look at your issue.

Take care and have a great day!

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @shaha,

Hope you're well today! :slight_smile:

I've done some testing and my test site with multidomain does work as a sub directory install, though if possible I would recommend sub domains, in case on the sub directory there are any incompatibilities we haven't seen/found yet on our installs. :slight_smile:

If we can be of any assistance please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• msh
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Jack, thanks for verification.

I would imagine we could set up multiple domain mapping with multi domain in subdirectory based installation. Hopefully you have this in your To Do as this will greatly help in our education institution where they need their own domain but we as admin is at hard work to maintain multiple wordpress installation

Cheers :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.