Domain Mapping and email addresses

I have a VPS for all of my websites, and really, I know just enough about how to run it to get by (in other words--I know just enough to be truly dangerous!). I've had separate installations of WordPress on each website until recently when I've been converting them over to a multi site installation on my main website. I have some questions about Domain Mapping and how it works in this case.

1) Website 1 is where WPMS is installed and I now have a dedicated IP for this site. Website 2 is on the same server (but not the same IP) as Website 1, and is still up and running independently. I'm currently importing databases from Website 2 into a network site on Website 1, but once everything is working properly, do I need to assign the A record for Website 2 to the dedicated IP address for Website 1 at the domain registrar or do I do that in WHM on my VPS?

2) What happens to the hosting account in WHM for Website 2 once the dns is resolving to the dedicated IP on Website 1? Do I just delete the files and terminate the account in WHM?

2) For some of my websites that will be migrated to the WPMS on the dedicated IP, I have email addresses like "me@website2.com". Is it possible to still have these email addresses once Website2 is running in WPMS? If so, where do I manage those email addresses?

Thanks in advance for any advice or help!

• aristath

Hello there @Raevenne, I hope you're well today!

once everything is working properly, do I need to assign the A record for Website 2 to the dedicated IP address for Website 1 at the domain registrar or do I do that in WHM on my VPS?

You can do it both ways... I'll explain below

2) What happens to the hosting account in WHM for Website 2 once the dns is resolving to the dedicated IP on Website 1? Do I just delete the files and terminate the account in WHM?

Normally you could... but you won't. :stuck_out_tongue: I'll explain this below.

2) For some of my websites that will be migrated to the WPMS on the dedicated IP, I have email addresses like "me@website2.com". Is it possible to still have these email addresses once Website2 is running in WPMS? If so, where do I manage those email addresses?

And this is where I explain all of the above "I'll explain below" that I posted earlier. :slight_smile:
    If you want to keep your emails, you 'll need the WHM account that you already have. So this is why you won't delete the WHM Account.
    Since you can't delete the WHM account as this will delete all your emails too, you can do the following to address all your issues at once:

On the domain2 WHM, add an A record that will point it to the domain 1 IP.
    Well, that's all you have to do... :stuck_out_tongue:

You can delete the domain 2 files if you want it really makes no difference. But not the account.

Of course you can migrate your emails to the other whm account, switch A records, migrate a ton of things and do lots of stuff too, but that just increases the chances of messing up things (I know... I've messed up a lot).

So if you don't want to endanger your sites, just change a single A record. :slight_smile:

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Raevenne

Wow...that's awesome Ari! Thank you for your quick answer. I'm glad to hear that this is so easy to do! This sounds as if I'll be able to continue to manage the email addresses in cPanel just as I do now for each website.

So...a further question, because I'm going to be setting up a completely separate WPMS website for use as a blog network by others. If website owner Sally wants to have her own domain name and her email like sally@sallywebsiteowner.com, but sallywebsiteowner.com isn't a site with an account on my VPS, how does she manage her email account, or is that something that's not possible in this case? Perhaps I would offer this as a separate paid service--to host her domain on my VPS and offer personalized email addresses on that domain?

Thanks for the help!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.