Domain mapping and migrating A records and wildcard

Hi

I am trying to map my first domain and have noticed a couple of issues I need to resolve before proceeding.

In the cpanel of the domain to be mapped, I already have an A record that is set to 900 not 14400 - should I leave this as 900?

Secondly, this domain was previously set with a wildcard subdomain * as it was hosting a multisite- do I need to remove this record.

Third, I assume I will no longer access the mapped domain via ftp as the domain is now hosted on my main site. I this the case?

Lastly, how do the users records interact between mapped domains?

Will a mapped site have its own unique user names database? i.e. I have many domains to be mapped and restored, these already have users and I know there are duplicate usernames. How will these be handled?

Sorry for the inquisition. lol

Stef

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Stef,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

n the cpanel of the domain to be mapped, I already have an A record that is set to 900 not 14400 - should I leave this as 900?

For now leave this as 900 and if there's any issues at a later date we can change that :slight_smile:

Secondly, this domain was previously set with a wildcard subdomain * as it was hosting a multisite- do I need to remove this record.

If the domain is no longer being used for a WordPress Multisite you can delete the Wildcard A record :slight_smile:

Third, I assume I will no longer access the mapped domain via ftp as the domain is now hosted on my main site. I this the case?

Correct, as your mapping the domain to a sub site on your multisite install, so any FTP would now be related to the main site :slight_smile:

This wouldn't technically change, user registrations are global across a multisite, but there isn't a SSO (Single Sign On), if you want to add users to additional sites on signup, you can use this great plugin here http://wordpress.org/plugins/join-my-multisite/

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Stefanie

Hi Jack Kitterhing

Wow thanks for the fast reply.

Apologies but I am still a little confused by a couple of points.

If the domain is no longer being used for a WordPress Multisite

Does this mean I can still run multisite on the mapped domain? I assume not but what if I want to continue with domain.mappeddomain.com, domain.mappeddomain.com?

I am thinking this is now done with cname?

What I am concerned about is that I am about to merge about 30 external single sites/multisites which share duplicate usernames but which are not necessarily the same person.

How will the usernames be handled? Is there going to be a conflict?

Thanks again for your great support.

Stef

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Stef,

Hope you're well today.

Does this mean I can still run multisite on the mapped domain? I assume not but what if I want to continue with domain.mappeddomain.com, domain.mappeddomain.com?

I am thinking this is now done with cname?

That's correct, that's done via a CNAME record if your mapping a sub domain :slight_smile:

What I am concerned about is that I am about to merge about 30 external single sites/multisites which share duplicate usernames but which are not necessarily the same person.

How will the usernames be handled? Is there going to be a conflict?

There would be a conflict, each username would need to be unique, as on a multisite usernames are global rather than per site, so if you had a user with the username, Stef, and on another site had another user with the same name, one of them would need to become Stef1, but they can both set their nicename/display name to Stef :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.