Domain Mapping and Multisite questions

Hello,

I have run into several problems, I am trying to run multisite and prosite on wordpress with Domain mapping.

I am not sure if all problems is your concern (I might doing something wrong with DNS/my host).

I am using Digital Ocean hosting service.

What I have problems with:

*I get restricted access to wp-login page, this happens to all sites in the network, I have tried to edit .htaccess but with no progress.

*I use the sub-domain setting on multisite, however I cannot seem to find where the other sites are located? I read somewhere that it should be in wp_blogs or simillar, however, I do not have something like that on my server.

* I can't seem to do domain-mapping, the domain is pointed at the server's IP but I get the "domain name is unavailable to access"- error

Hope you can help me out here.

Thanks in advance,

Apower

• Michael Bissett

Hey @ApowerDev, welcome to the WPMU DEV Community, hope you're doing well today! :slight_smile:

*I get restricted access to wp-login page, this happens to all sites in the network, I have tried to edit .htaccess but with no progress.

What have you changed on your node recently, and was it always like this?

When you mention the restricting of the wp-login page, that makes me think of the "Removing the Additional Apache Password Prompt for Admin Areas" section in this article:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/one-click-install-wordpress-on-ubuntu-14-04-with-digitalocean

I use the sub-domain setting on multisite, however I cannot seem to find where the other sites are located? I read somewhere that it should be in wp_blogs or simillar, however, I do not have something like that on my server.

Are you seeing any sites inside of the "Sites" page inside the Network Dashboard? They should be showing up there.

I can't seem to do domain-mapping, the domain is pointed at the server's IP but I get the "domain name is unavailable to access"- error

How long ago was this domain pointed at the subsite? Is it pointed at the server via an A record or a CNAME record?

Your droplet should already come with a dedicated IP, is that correct?

Please advise,
    Michael

• Apower

Update: I fixed the domain problems, I added "define('DOMAINMAPPING_ALLOWMULTI', true);" to wp-config.php and now it is working!

Only thing left that is puzzling me:

Yeah I see the sites in the Network Dashboard, what I meant was where are they stored on the server? I am kind of lost, was looking for them in ftp, but did not find them(might have misunderstood something with multisite).

update2:

Ouch, actually ran into another problem. I cannot enable Ultimate Facebook plugin for network. I get this fatal error:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'Facebook needs the CURL PHP extension.' in /var/www/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-facebook/lib/external/base_facebook.php:19 Stack trace: #0 /var/www/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-facebook/lib/external/facebook.php(18): require_once() #1 /var/www/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-facebook/wpmu-dev-facebook.php(122): require_once('/var/www/wp-con...') #2 /var/www/wp-admin/plugins.php(151): include('/var/www/wp-con...') #3 /var/www/wp-admin/plugins.php(153): plugin_sandbox_scrape('wpmu-dev-facebo...') #4 /var/www/wp-admin/network/plugins.php(16): require('/var/www/wp-adm...') #5 {main} thrown in /var/www/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-facebook/lib/external/base_facebook.php on line 19
  • Ash

Hello @ApowerDev

I hope you are well today.

Glad to know that you fixed the error :slight_smile:

Yeah I see the sites in the Network Dashboard, what I meant was where are they stored on the server? I am kind of lost, was looking for them in ftp, but did not find them(might have misunderstood something with multisite).

The sites are not stored into server, it's stored in the database, that's how a multisite works :slight_smile: It's not a physical site, but virtual. WordPress handles it itself. All sites are hosted in one wordpress install :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.