Domain mapping and pro sites

It is possible to have a pro site level 1 level 2 level 3 level 6 without domain mapping and domain level a, domain level b, domain level c using pro sites plugin. If so how would how would I set that up.

I have tried network activate and selecting YES supporter only in the settings. I have also tried network deactivating it hoping I could add it to the Pro Sites premium themes. Neither of these seem to work for me

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hi Ren,

You can achieve levels with and without domain mapping, however you will need to use your level hierarchy to do so.

Keep in mind that with prosites each new level inherits the capabilities of the level below it, so when you set a new capability you are setting the lowest level that can use that feature.

This means that you can enable domain mapping but everything above the first level that you activate it for will be able to use domain mapping as well.

For example: I have level 1, level 2 and level 3, all with no domain mapping, then I have level a and level b that both have domain mapping, after that level 4 with domain mapping as well

The above example is typical. You cannot take away domain mapping from level 4. Once a capability is active then it remains so.

Hope this help to clear up a few things :slight_smile: Please let me know if I can be of more help!

Best,

Kimberly

• marikamitsos
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello Ren,

The answer to your question is a definite Yes. Please have a look at the screenshot.

You will find these settings under: Network--> Settings--> Domain Mapping

Please let us know if you need further assistance. We are here to help. :slight_smile:
    Thank you for your time,
    marikamitsos.

Should you find the provided solution satisfactory, please mark the topic as resolved.
    Thanks again, marikamitsos

• marikamitsos
    • The Crimson Coder

it had no effect on my ability to assign domain mapping to levels in pro sites or to activate it on individual sites

Do you mean that you can NOT activate domain mapping whatsoever? Or is it that you find it conflicting with Pro Sites?
    Couple of things that pop into mind:
    1. Deactivate Pro Sites and try out Domain Mapping
    2. Re-install Domain Mapping. Check your DNS.

• Ren
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I can network activate domain mapping and it works fine. However, if I try to assign domain mapping to a pro site level it is not in the selection of available domains. I have the same problem when trying to add it to individual sites.

• marikamitsos
    • The Crimson Coder

However, if I try to assign domain mapping to a pro site level it is not in the selection of available domains. I have the same problem when trying to add it to individual sites.

I am sorry but I cannot understand what you mean by this.
    Can you please tell me the process you follow step by step and on which panels/screens the selection is not available?

Scenario: Let's say our domain is mydom.com, user testadmin creates the site mydom.com/testdom or testdom.mydom.com. Finally we want to map this site to testdom.com
    What I would do would be:
    Login as super-admin.
    Go to mydom.com/testdom or testdom.mydom.com (whatever applies), Tools--> Domain Mapping
    There I would see this screenshot:

Is this what you don't see? Please enlighten. :slight_frown:
    marikamitsos

• Ren

if I network activate it I see what you have in the screen shot. does that mean this plugin cannot be activated on an individual site by site basis? that may be my problem I was thinking it could be activated on individual sites.

• marikamitsos
    • The Crimson Coder

does that mean this plugin cannot be activated on an individual site by site basis?

From the plugin's installation page:
    --------------------

--------------------

I was thinking it could be activated on individual sites.

You can. Actually there is no other way. It means that you will have to go to each and every individual site you want to map and activate the mapped domain as I have explained to you above.
    You see, when you have your TLD (Top Level Domain) site called mydom.com turned to a multisite, it means that every single/individual subsite (mydom.com/testdom or testdom.mydom.com) that users create there (those are NOT TLDs), can and will be individually turned to one different TLD respectively (nicedom.com, herdom.com, hisdom.com, etc), once you apply/activate Domain Mapping on every single one of them.

As always... Please let us know if you need further assistance. We are here to help. :slight_smile:
    Thank you for your time,
    marikamitsos.

Should you find the provided solution satisfactory, please mark the topic as resolved.
    Thanks again, marikamitsos

• Ren

Thanks

I have found that I cannot use the plugin as I thought. I do see that I can use it on individual sites if I network activate it first. Once I have members I think I will need to put the site in maintenance mode to activate sites. I believe there may be another option I am also exploring.

• jlloke82
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

i had this problem also

i had setting 4 level's on prosites, i want only the level 4 can using the domain mapping, but the prosites with the wpmu domain mapping is not function. after i try to using mu domain mapping, can done it.

but the way i more hope wpmu staff can solve for us. thanks.

• marikamitsos
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello jlloke82 and welcome to the WPMUDEV Forums,

but the prosites with the wpmu domain mapping is not function

I don't know how much experience you had with domain mapping, but I am sorry to say that I find your statement not correct.
    You see we used to have the WordPress MU Domain Mapping on our sites before switching to WPMUDEV Domain Mapping plugin. There are a couple of differences but what you mention is NOT one of them.
    Furthermore WordPress MU Domain Mapping has to be placed in the mu-plugins folder which means it is automatically activated for ALL sites, leaving you NO control on individually activating it for specific only sites.
    On the other hand -when used together with Pro Sites- you CAN have WPMUDEV Domain Mapping plugin ONLY activated AFTER a certain level. This gives the super-admin more flexibility. For my eyes at least.

I do hope my explanations clarify things a little better.
    Please let us know if you need further assistance. We are here to help. :slight_smile:
    Thank you for your time and welcome once again,
    marikamitsos.

• Ren

Hi all,

Thanks jlloke82 I have come up with the same solution. That is to use WordPress MU Domain Mapping which to my understanding can now be placed in the plugins folder. I have not activated a site yet with the new plugin, but I see that I can now select it for a certain level or higher in the pro sites premium themes. By reevaluating the site structure I have changed how I will use this plugin a little.

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

jlloke82

You enable domain mapping and enable it in Pro Sites

You assign the minimum level that you want to use Domain Mapping. All levels after that will inherit the ability to use Domain Mapping. Here are the Pro Site Installation instructions for reference.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites/installation/

if you need anything further please open up a new thread so we can address your issue independently and it doesn't get lost here :slight_smile:

Kimberly

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.