Domain Mapping and SEO

I haven't used the plugin yet. I have just installed it and would like to know what happens with the site links when you enable domain mapping.

For example: I have test.mysites.com and I map it to test.com. When someone visits test.com do all the links on that page display as test.com or test.mysite.com?

I want to make sure that links from test.mysite.com are not getting indexed and the test.com are =)

Thanks!!!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Nate,

Thank you for the great question but I must clarify that you indeed have it bass ackwards i.e. one does not map a sub directory to a TLD it is absolutely reverse, you map a TLD to a sub site/domain.

In time all the links that are going to the sub site will bare the TLD URL's because that is how they will be resolving.

I do not know why someone would want to assign a TLD top a sub site and then not want SERP's related to that TLD - unless I am missing something here?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Nate
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Haha you are correct I am mapping test.com(TLD) to test.mysite.com (sub-domain).

Does WordPress eventually change the urls to TLD or is it Google after crawling the site? Would like to understand a little more on whats happening to all the links (pages, posts etc)

I am just worried about which URL is getting indexed.

Thanks!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Nate,

Thank you for the clarification and in time the sub site URL's will all resolve as TLD's as the crawler will go to the sub site URL and in turn it is changed/translated automatically to the TLD.

In addition, all new links will indeed be coming as the TLD.

One thing that affects the URL is shown in the screen shot below, I would have these set to mapped domain which would insure that the mapped domain is the primary.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.