Domain mapping broken for sub-sites

Hi

I run a number of sub-sites from my main multi-site at cloudbestpractices.net

I wanted to add some more sites, which had domains associated with previously dedicated installations, to consolidate them all under the one multi-site.

I couldn't get the domain mapping to work although the DNS was set up the same as the working sites, so it was suggested this could be because the domains were still on my hosting accounts as add-ons, which they were.

I have just removed them, and for some reason this has broken all my other sub-site domain mappings. For example DigitalGovernment.io and CanadaCloud.net. The Wordpress sites are all fine, it's just the domain pointing that's broken, the domain mapping tool now says they are invalid.

The domain I had wanted to move and had just deleted is ScotVote.info.

thanks

Neil.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Neil,

Hope you don't mind me chiming in here.

In addition to what Nastia has mentioned, do you have a dedicated IP? The reason the domains stopped mapping once you removed the add-on domains is likely because that's a secondary method of mapping - instead of pointing the A record to your dedicated IP, you can instead point your domains name servers to your hosting and then add them as an add-on or parked domain with their root folder being the root of your WP install and map them that way.

This is usually used as an alternative to the A record method if you don't have a dedicated IP.

Would you be able to share your main sites domain as well? Then we can find the IP and make sure it is setup correctly.

Look forward to hearing back!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Sorry Neil, I missed your main site url in your first post. Sorry about that!

Yes, so it looks like you do have a dedicated IP and it's correctly pointed to your WP install.

Have you made sure to change your domains name servers back to the original domain hosting? Then you can change the A Record there and it should map properly. It might take some time for that name server change to propagate.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Neil,

So sorry for the delay here!

When I enter your IP directly into my browser I just get an index page to what appears to be an empty directory.

This is also why your mapped domains aren't going to any sites because they are just pointed to the same IP.

So part of the issue right now is that your dedicated IP doesn't have the document root set to the root of your WP install. That will cause issues with any domains pointed to the IP.

You can ask your host to set the document root so it opens your site when the IP is visited directly, they should be able to do this easily from their end.

If you're still having problems after that would you be able to send in your cPanel so we can investigate your setup more closely?

You can send that privately through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -cPanel credentials (login url/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

**If you keep support access active then no need to send in wp-admin

Look forward to hearing back :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Neil

Hi Tyler
    The reason for the delayed response to this issue is basically my web host: Bluehost.
    They are being a nightmare. I logged a tech support ticket with the fix you described, over a week ago, and they've ignored it. I have been on to complain and they entirely skirt the issue, saying the only advice they can offer is that 'my domains aren't registered via their cpanel', and therefore they can't provide any technical support.
    Even worse they attempted some kind of fix and broke the whole thing entirely: Cloudbestpractices.net, the main top site, was working fine - Now it's toast too.

So yes any help hugely appreciated, these web sites have been entirely down this whole time. I will enable the cpanel access as you describe.

Thanks! Neil.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Neil,

Apologies for my delays here.

I see your main site is working now, but looks like the subdomains still aren't?

Would you be able to grant support access now? Then I can login and look at your domain mapping settings while I'm looking at your cPanel as well :slight_smile:

Or if for any reason you can't grant support access, just send me your wp-admin credentials privately through the same method as before: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -link back to this thread for reference

Talk to you soon! Cheers

• Tyler Postle

Hey Neil,

Thanks for sending that in and glad Bluehost was able to help with the dedicated IP. I think we got it all working now :slight_smile:

Fortunately, your plugins folder was only re-named. So you don't need to re-add them all. I've named it back to /plugins/ and all of them are back in your listing. I've only activated Domain Mapping though as I'm not sure which other plugins you had active before.

I checked your domains and they appear to be mapped correctly now. I see you have admin mapping active too, which means the wp-admin area for each subsite will be forced to the mapped domain. You will notice that it asks you to login again whenever you visit them. You can turn on cross domain auto login as illustrated below to get avoid this.

Let me know if you still see any issues on your end Neil. Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Neil

Hey Tyler

Rock on it's all working now, well done and thanks so much.

I have one outstanding issue, which is where this all started.

Two of the sub-sites have an unresolved issue: ScotVote.info and DigitalCIO.net. In both cases I created a dedicated Wordpress install, which I tried to delete at the folder level, and then re-direct these domains to subsites of cloudbestpractices.net instead.

I couldn't get this to work. If you try and access them via the network admin menu it gets screwed up.

What can I do to finalize this migration process?

many thanks, Neil.

• Nastia

Hello @neilmcevoy1

Just to make sure, you mapped ScotVote.info and DigitalCIO.net to a subsites. What is the health status of the mapped domain?

Have you created a A records for each domain? Please make sure that you changed the IP address to the dedicated IP for your Multisite install.

For more information regarding how to create A Records, please visit the Domain Mapping usage page
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/#product-usage

Please advise,

Cheers,
    Nastia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.