Domain Mapping bug - login screen constantly reloads

I have a frustrating problem on two of my multisites that is caused by the Domain Mapping plugin.

Specifically, if the Domain Mapping settings are set to the administration page showing as the "mapped domain" and cross domain login is set to "yes", then if I have logged in to the main site, when I try to view any page of the subsite that has a domain mapped, the page continuously reloads every second, making it completely unusable. This is also true of the login screen - making the dashboard inaccessible.

I have recorded a screen recording showing the exact settings and demonstrating the problem (and also showing how changing the settings off "mapped domain" stops the issue). In the video I have demonstrated this problem with trying to access the backend (dashboard & login screen).
But I forgot that this also affects every front end page on the subsite too, while logged into the main multisite in another tab.

http://youtu.be/g3QiA37_U9w?hd=1

I have this exact issue on 2 different multisite installations. Hopefully this video gives you clear details so that the issue can be troubleshooted. Or if there is possibly something I've setup wrong, please let me know!

I'm using Domain mapping plugin version 4.4.3.3

  • Nithin
    • Support Wizard

    Hi Josh,

    Thanks for sharing the video, and sorry to hear about the issue. I tested this in my system, and tried the exact steps, but I wasn't able to replicate similar issue in my side.

    That's loading the subsite dashboard via the frontend of the main site, the subsite loads fine when tested, and gets redirected to mappeddomain.com/wp-admin without any issue.

    Since this is happening with two of your multisite it's an odd use case, I was able to notice similar issue if there are custom rules in .htaccess file.

    Could you please double check whether this is the default WordPress rule you have inside .htaccess?

    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    
    # add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^wp-admin$ wp-admin/ [R=301,L]
    
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*\.php)$ $1 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

    If not, please do check whether temporarily changing the content of the .htaccess rules to the above makes any difference, or not.

    If you still have issue even after that, could you please send us your websites credentials, so that we could give a closer look.

    You can send credentials by using our secure contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

    - To Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Nithin Ramdas
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

    Please do follow up in the ticket once you have sent the above credentials. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

    Kind Regards,
    Nithin

  • Josh
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

    Hi Nithin,

    I replaced the contents of the htaccess file, as you suggested, but it didn't help unfortunately. We still had exactly the same issue.

    I have submitted the login details and detailed steps of how to replicate the problem via the "I have a different question" form.

    Really hoping you can help us dig into this and solve the problem!
    Thanks
    Josh

  • Nithin
    • Support Wizard

    Hi Josh,

    Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, thanks for sharing the credentials, and with detailed steps. I could notice the issue in your system, and I tested again to double check whether I could reproduce in my test system, but it worked fine without any redirection.

    I tried to further tweak the htaccess rules, but it doesn't seem to help much. Since you did mention the subsite(hcst) is live, I didn't perform a conflict test just to double check whether the issue is correlated, or not.

    Is there any way for you to setup a staging(clone) site where we could troubleshoot further, or maybe setup a test site where you could replicate the issue again, so that we troubleshoot this extensively, and also bring into our developers attention.

    Please do let us know if the above is possible, or not, so that we could see how to proceed further regarding this. Looking forward to your reply, have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

    Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.