domain mapping & dedicated IP questions

Ok, so I’ve installed DomainMapping on GreenActionNews.net.

I have a site called Strivin2BeGreen which currently is at GreenActionNews.net/strivin2begreen. I’m assuming what domain mapping will do, is that if someone goes to strivin2bgreen.com, then they will end up going to greenactionnews.net/strivin2begreen but they will experience it as if it is its own web site.

So once I’ve dl and installed it, I see some instructions. One of which is that I need a dedicated IP. I checked with the server and they said my dedicated IP is 192.186.229.224 When I go there directly by browser, nothing shows up but a splash page. Your instructions says

when you enter the IP you see your multisite. This is known as the DocumentRoot for the IP, your host will be able to sort this quickly and easily.

Questions:

1. Is the 192.186.229.224 the one I am supposed to use in step 1 of the DomainMaping instructions? Or something different? Is it going to cost me more if different? Or is it just impossible to do with my particular hosting company (they are not too helpful with anything like this in the past).

2. I have the domain strivin2begreen registered with a different registrar than the one my sites are hosted at, to save on costs. I am aware that I can change the NS to my hosted account, but will having the registration elsewhere created problems with setting up domain mapping?

I have not moved sunrise.php or made anychanges to the wp-config.php file yet (which I really hate doing coding stuff as it is nerve-wrecking).

So those are my questions for now, and am I on the right track with this?

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hey @jdsullivan411,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

Ok, so I've installed DomainMapping on GreenActionNews.net.

I have a site called Strivin2BeGreen which currently is at GreenActionNews.net/strivin2begreen. I'm assuming what domain mapping will do, is that if someone goes to strivin2bgreen.com, then they will end up going to greenactionnews.net/strivin2begreen but they will experience it as if it is its own web site.

That is correct, when someone goes to Strivin2BeGreen he will end up on greenactionnews.net/strivin2begreen, but he will still see Strivin2BeGreen in his address bar.

1. Is the 192.186.229.224 the one I am supposed to use in step 1 of the DomainMaping instructions? Or something different? Is it going to cost me more if different? Or is it just impossible to do with my particular hosting company (they are not too helpful with anything like this in the past).

Go to any of your sub-sites once Domain Mapping is activated on your network and you will there see notification on your page which IP address you should use, see example in screenshot below.

2. I have the domain strivin2begreen registered with a different registrar than the one my sites are hosted at, to save on costs. I am aware that I can change the NS to my hosted account, but will having the registration elsewhere created problems with setting up domain mapping?

Having domain registered with different registrar shouldn't cause you any issues as longs as DNS is redirected properly.

I have not moved sunrise.php or made anychanges to the wp-config.php file yet (which I really hate doing coding stuff as it is nerve-wrecking).

Getting Domain Mapping to work these are required steps but there is nothing complicated here.

Simply move (not copy) sunrise.php from /wp-content/plugins/domain-mapping/ to your /wp-content/ folder and in your wp-config.php paste this line of code:

define( 'SUNRISE', 'on' );

Only thing you need to pay attention to is that the code is pasted above /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */ line and that's it.

Hope this helps and please let us know if you have any additional questions :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.