domain mapping DNS with CloudFlare

I'm struggling getting my DNS to work with cloudFlare and MS and Domain mapping. Can you please help? I've tried pointing the new domain with an "a" record and a "cname" record. I've turned off the pass trough via CF cloud etc and nothing seems to be working. Can you take a look?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello John,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

In order to make CloudFlare work with your site you need to point your domain to it. Therefore if the mapped domain should go through CloudFlare as well it should also point to CloudFlare instead of an IP of your server. Then, in CloudFlare account dashboard you could set it to point to your site.

To sum it up:

1. Make sure that your main site is running fine with CloudFlare
    2. Point your "domain to be mapped" to CloudFlare and add it to CloudFlare account
    3. Make sure that on your server a root folder of your IP is set to the root folder of your main domain (so typing IP in browser address bar would load the main site of your Multisite)
    4. Set DNS A record for "domain to be mapped" in CloudFlare dashboard to point to your main domain IP (the IP assigned to your server - not CloudFlare for main domain!); this is described here:

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200169096-How-do-I-add-A-records-

I hope that helps!
    Best regards,
    Adam

• john_kesler
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

OK but I think I must have missed a step. brewbro.com goes to raining.co which is my multisite domain. Can you help figure out why?

htaccess:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^wp-admin$ wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*\.php)$ $1 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello John!

I visited both domains and they load different sites for me. While raining.co loads a WordPress site, the brewbro.com loads some "domain parking" site. I assume however that it's possible that DNSes used by my internet provided didn't catch the change yet.

That said, I understand that the "raining.co" is your main multisite domain and "brewbro.com" is the domain that you'd like to map to the sub-site. Is that right?

If both these domains at this moment load your main site (the site that's originally under "raining.co") domain, that would be a correct setting. You should now be able to use "Domain Mapping" plugin to map the "brewbro.com" domain to any sub-site of your Multisite Network.

Best regards,
    Adam

• john_kesler
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Adam ,

Thank you for all your help. I'm still having problems getting the domain mapping to work. This usually works right out of he box for me so I'm a bit baffled. brewsbro.com goes to raining.co but no matter how I configure domain mapping it won't map to the domain. It just goes directly to Raining.co . I've been beating my head against the wall bc I'm sure it's something really really easy I've missed.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.