Domain Mapping documentation

Hi I'm having difficulties configuring the domain Mapping Plugin, I was wondering if there is any documentation available not only for may self but for my future blog users whom like me will find this feature hard to configure.

So far I was able to: add my server iP to the "Domain mapping Configuration" section which by the way took me some time to find with no help.

From this point on I'm clueless as to whats I'm suppose to do as I have absolutely no directions to follow.

Now I'm confused about some things:

1: Do I configure my main blog domain by adding a DNS "A" record pointing at my server iP address? or is this only for user blogs?

2: When configuring a DNS "A" record, in the "hostName" Box do I write the URL of the "user blog"(user.wordpress.com) or the domain URL we want the "user blog" to use?

3. In the "Domain Mapping" page what gets typed in the "Custom Domain" field?

I'm sorry if these questions may sound stupid but understand that this is exactly how my customers are going to ask them.

Thank you in advance.

Jen

• Andrew

Hiya,

1: Do I configure my main blog domain by adding a DNS "A" record pointing at my server iP address? or is this only for user blogs?

You should only be mapping domains to user blogs. No changes are required or should be made for the main blog or the primary WPMU domain (the domain you installed the site with).

2: When configuring a DNS "A" record, in the "hostName" Box do I write the URL of the "user blog"(user.wordpress.com) or the domain URL we want the "user blog" to use?

A records are based on IP addresses and not hostnames. The manor in which you setup an A record for a domain varies greatly among the registrars out there. So you should consult their documentation for this one.

3. In the "Domain Mapping" page what gets typed in the "Custom Domain" field?

The domain you want to map to a blog. So if you want to map testdomain.com to a blog then you would enter the following in that box:

testdomain.com

Please note that your WPMU site needs to have a dedicated IP address if you want users to be able to point domains at their blogs without you having to take any action. Your host should be able to assist with setting up a dedicated IP for your site if you do not already have one.

Thanks,
    Andrew

• ukraze

Thank you for information Andrew, I'ts somewhat clearer to me.
    Andrew my website is on a Dedicated iP, so how much simpler will this be for my user vrs not being on a Dedicated IP?
    Will my users not have to deal with all confusing "A" record set up?

A records are based on IP addresses and not hostnames. The manor in which you setup an A record for a domain varies greatly among the registrars out there. So you should consult their documentation for this one.

I mentioned "HostName: cause in my Registrars "Host records" section there's a field right next to the iP field asking for "HostName" so I'm just wondering what goes in this field, so for example if I want to turn: "user.blog.com" into: "blog.com" what would I have to add in this "Hostname" field to make it work right.

Thank you for your help

Jen

• Andrew

Andrew my website is on a Dedicated iP, so how much simpler will this be for my user vrs not being on a Dedicated IP?

The dedicated IP makes it easier on you, not your users. If you were not to have a dedicated IP you would have to edit configuration files or park domains within your control panel.

Will my users not have to deal with all confusing "A" record set up?

Users will have to setup the A record no matter what.

I mentioned "HostName: cause in my Registrars "Host records" section there's a field right next to the iP field asking for "HostName" so I'm just wondering what goes in this field, so for example if I want to turn: "user.blog.com" into: "blog.com" what would I have to add in this "Hostname" field to make it work right.

Please contact your registrar for assistance with their system.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.