Domain Mapping - Domain Name Is Unavailable To Access

I've just installed multisite for the first time (actually the second time because I started from scratch with I couldn't get the Domain Mapping to work yesterday).

Basically I get this error whenever I try to map a domain.

My main site is bankercreative.com
I have the following site on the network: thestaircars.bankercreative.com

I was trying to map thestaircars.com (which I own and have pointed at my hosts nameservers) to the site when I get that error. Trying to map any other domain returns the same error.

I know this questions gets asked all the time in the forums, but I've read many posts and can't figure out what's wrong with mine.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Matt,

Domain you try to map is not pointing to root directory of your network - I assume that you haven't add that domain after changing that domain nameservers as add-on domain.
    You have to add it as add-on domain in your cPanel (or other panel you are using) and point it directly to root directory of your network (don't allow for creating own directory). When you do that thestaircars.com should open bankercreative.com - that means that pointing works and then you can map that domain.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Matt
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Ok, that makes sense. I don't feel like that piece of the Domain Mapping process is explained clearly in the documentation.

So I use WHM and if I just park any domains that I want to map on top of my primary domain (bankercreative.com) then once they propagate I can map them?

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Matt,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

As mentioned by Kasia, you'll have to add the domain to be mapped as add-on domain in your Cpanel, and make sure that you point the domain which is to be mapped to your primary sites WordPress root folder. So suppose your domain to be mapped is abc.com, once you point the domain to the root folder, when your enter abc.com in your browser it'll point to your primary site.

Once done, you can map your domain in the Domain mapping plugin, under your subsite, Tools > Domain Mapping, and it should work.

For detailed instruction please check these guides:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/#product-usage
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/domain-mapping-wordpress/

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you still need any further assistance. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.