Domain Mapping - domains hosted on same VPS - same ip

I am in the process of moving a number of blogs to my new multisite installation.

The domain mapping instructions tell us:
If you want to redirect a domain you will need to add a DNS "A" record pointing at the IP address of this server: nn.nnn.nnn.nn

The problem is that all of my domains are hosted on the same VPS and share the same dedicated ip with an A record already pointing to this ip.

Is there an easy work around for this situation?

Or do I have to create a new user on my VPS with its own IP for the domains whose blogs I am moving?

• Mason

tydbyte,

The problem is that all of my domains are hosted on the same VPS and share the same dedicated ip with an A record already pointing to this ip.

I'm not sure I'm following. Once each blog is imported into the same multi-site installation, they're all hosted in the same install. I don't think it matters where they were hosted previously. Did you change the A record with your domain registrar?

• Tydbytes

I'm not sure I'm following. Once each blog is imported into the same multi-site installation, they're all hosted in the same install. I don't think it matters where they were hosted previously. Did you change the A record with your domain registrar?

All of my domains are hosted on the same VPS and share the same IP so there is no previous hosting and the A records do not change. I am my own registrar.

You need to get a dedicated IP address for your mu install. You can set it up without one but you'll have to provide DNS hosting on your end for the mapped domains. It's easier to do without providing dns hosting though. Less to worry about.

My MU/Wordpress 3.0 install has a dedicated ip unfortunately the this dedicated ip is also shared by my other domains because I have done the install on the main domain for my VPS server.

I think the easiest thing for me to do is simply setup a low cost shared service with my provider - he gives me great service and has for years - and move the domains to that service. I had just moved from a dedicated server to the VPS to make my life easier. On the dedicated server this would have been a piece of cake. Ah, live and learn. hehehehe

• Tydbytes

@tydbyte
    You should be fine as long as you havn't setup hosting for those domains on your server (a virtual host for them). If they don't have their own virtualhost defined they should take you to the default virtualhost for your IP (which WPMU needs to be set as).

This is this exactly the problem Aaron - they have all been hosted there.

However, my webhost has said that he will simply assign a new dedicated ip unique to the domain where I have installed MU and then the other hosted domains will be on a different ip on the VPS so with luck thing should work. I'll try and see what happens.

My webhost is great. I have been with this guy for years... wonderful support & service and really super prices. I suggested moving my domains to a new account and he said why spend the money and do all that work. What a guy!

• Aphrodite

Ok so I tell you my experience since i AM under Cpanel and I share 1 sigle IP on several install and DM works fine I have performed some test.

But :

- I am my proper master DNS (for security reason to be able to activate Domain keys and SPF)
    - My ISP is secondary
    - My registrar (bookmyname 5 euros per domain !!!! ^^) is third on some domains.

So I can handle all dns config directly on my server without any other config in the isp or registrar config.
    Wildcard can be easily setup directly, and it works fine, I tried to mappe several domains on several instll it works just fine :slight_smile:

• drmike

Wildcard can be easily setup directly

The problem with that is some hosts consider a Wildcard Domain (Mind you that's domain, not subdomain) to be abuse as it;s a fairly common blackhat trick.

Say I have an account for joeblow.tld on your box located at 1.2.3.4 and it;s a dedicated Ip address with wildcat domain setup. Now I register blowjoe.tld, point it at 1.2.3.4 and spam the crap out of it. No one at the host will see it as there's nothing on the box for a blowjoe.tld account. Since there's no proof, hosts usually won't follow up on those complaints.

Just check with your host ahead of time before setting it up.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.