Domain Mapping Error

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache Server at movingtopensacolafl.com Port 80

I get this in my back office when I try to click on the site in administration. When I go to the site in the from via the url
http://ss1.imminentwebdesign.com
or
movingtopensacola.com
I get the godaddy parked domain.

• Ingrid
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi @JosephLee1179

I just checked it also and the WordPress site is showing up for me also. I think the problem is with your name resolver cache (the service that points common names to IP addresses), it's still looking for the site in the old location. To fix this on a Windows system, from a command prompt type "ipconfig /flushdns" (without the quotes) and then try loading the site again. It might also help to do a manual reload of the page in your web browser.

If you need any more help or aren't using Windows, let me know.

Hope that helps,

Ingrid

• Ingrid

Hi again,

I just had a look at your WHOIS record and it appears that you're still using GoDaddy's DNS servers right now:

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (http://www.godaddy.com)
    Domain Name: MOVINGTOPENSACOLAFL.COM

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS43.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
    NS44.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

Did you just update the DNS servers to point to your hosting? If so, DNS records can take 2-48 hours (not a typo, but it doesn't generally take more than 6) to propagate so perhaps you just have to wait for the changes to take effect. If you haven't updated your nameservers yet, you will need to find out which (DNS) name servers your web host uses and then use the GoDaddy control panel to update these so that your domain will be able to use your hosting.

GoDaddy has a help article on how to do this, you want to use what they call "Off-Site DNS"
    http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/4041/managing-domain-names-with-offsite-dns?locale=en

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

• Ingrid

Ah ok, in that case you need to make sure you've parked the domain under the imminentwebdesign.com account. I had the same problem a while back, if the site has its own hosting account then the redirection doesn't seem to work, it has to be parked under your other account if it's on the same server IP.

• JosephLee1179
    • The Incredible Code Injector

My main site is ImminentWebDesign.com. It's a multisite. I have made:

ss2.imminentwebdesign.com

I am domain mapping: movingtopensacolafl.com over ss2.immenentwebdesign.com.

I need to park movingtopensacolafl.com after i forward the A record, or I need to park my
    main domain that has the webhosting package?

• JosephLee1179
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Frankenmedia, I read something to this effect 30 seconds before you posted. I wasn't able to figure which site the instructions wanted me to park.

If this works I am going to give you a ton of points. I think people should reward people that help. This REALLY helped!

• Ingrid

Hi again,

When I had this problem, I was using the same web host and IP for 2 domains, originally I had set up another hosting account (in my situation it was another CPanel account) for the domain I was trying to map, but after I'd set up the redirect, and made sure that the A records were in place (even though it was the same IP) I found it was still going to the web hosting account empty page instead of to the WP install that I'd configured for it. It was driving me mad!

To fix it, I found that I had to park the domain which was to be redirected (in your case this would be movingtopensacolafl.com) under the hosting account of the domain where the multisite was set up, which for you would be imminentwebdesign.com.

So I guess the proviso in this situation is that the two domains are currently on the same IP but that's what worked for me. If it doesn't work, or doesn't apply for you then just let me know and I'll see what else I can come up with. :slight_smile: I worked on this for about 4 days so would be happy to help save someone some trouble if I can.

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@frankenmedia Thanks for stepping in to help with this and offering such valuable input. Some points coming your way.

@JosephLee1179
    I hope you're doing ok figuring this out. I know DNS can be confusing, so if it helps, here's an illustration that might help fill in any gaps.

Registrar -> Nameserver -> A record -> IP address -> web server

Now, in alot of cases a single company will provide many of these levels for you. GoDaddy for example, can function at any to all of these levels - that's what makes it confusing because you're administrating everything from the same place and it can overlap.

Registrar - This is to whom you an annual fee to have your domain

Nameserver - This is a computer that stores all of your domains DNS records.

A Record - This is a record on the Name server that stores the IP address that incoming requests should be sent to

IP address - location of the web server (obviously)

Web Server - The computer that listens on an IP address and responds to incoming requests.

If you're using cPanel, you would go to your registrar where you bought the domain, and set the nameservers, then set them to the nameservers your cPanel host provides. When you add the domain in cPanel, it sets up the A record for you, and ensures your domain points to your account.

If you're using you own server (like you said) and it won't be managing DNS itself, then you create an A record pointing to your IP address. Keep in mind you need a static IP for this to work.

Hope that fills in any gaps, or helps in some way.
    -Alex

• Paul Barthmaier
    • Code Wrangler

HI @JosephLee1179,

Looks like you started over with a new database. But fortunately you already had your wildcard domain setup, so Multisite is trying to create the subsites SS1. or SS2. depending which one I tried to visit. Lots of great advice from @frankenmedia and @Alexander Rohmann, so I think you're in great hands!

Cheers,
    Paul

Plugin Trouble? Follow the chart: http://marker.to/K0G5yg

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.