Domain Mapping Error after troubleshooting everything

I installed domain mapping thru the wpMDEV dashboard plug-in, then made the changes to the FTP sunrise and wp config file.... but I am still getting error messages when trying to map a domain.

Do I need to install this thru the FTP? rather than thru the dashboard or what?

I tried to map multiple domains to see if it works and I get the same error message, I just don't see why its such a complicated plug-in?

• Patrick

Hi there @Toby

Welcome to the forums, glad to have you aboard!

The message seen in the screenshot you posted above is not an error message. It's a message that appears when the domain you are trying to map does not resolve.

That is usually due to propagation. Any DNS change you make can take up to 72 hours to propagate.

Are you trying to map a top-level domain such as mydomain.com? If so, have you double-checked that your "A" record is correctly entered, and that it points to your multisite IP?

Also, is your site on a dedicated IP?

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there,

I just visited your goldsagelaw.com site and checked the IP address to see it's this: 67.20.65.55

When I enter that in the browser I don't get your website.

The IP address needs to have the DocumentRoot set to your WordPress install so that when you enter it in the browser you see your site. If you don't then WordPress won't see the domain and can't do anything with it.

Your host will be able to fix this quickly.

Please let us know if you need any further help :slight_smile:

Take care.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

The issue is still the same (you are no landing on the hosts landing page for the server), in order to use the A Record you must use a dedicated IP address. That IP address must have the DocumentRoot as your WordPress install.

The IP is dedicated and yours?

If so they should change it.

If it doesn't then it won't work. To make an analogy the IP is a zip code, at the moment it's stuck in the sorting office and isn't going anywhere because it's got no real address (DocumentRoot).

The DocumentRoot is the rest of your address, the door number, street name, etc. Without that it has no direction.

I hope this makes sense?

The other option is to Park domains instead, this allows you to define the DocumentRoot but it's less flexible in that you have to manually do this for everyone pointing their domain to you. It also means you control the whole DNS for the domain which is something people hosting with you probably won't want because they'll want their own mail.

If it's just for your own sites then using Parked domains should be perfectly fine.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

• Toby

@Patrick Cohen I did try to move it and make it my main domain or make the ip point to the wordpress install, but my hosting account said it was pointing to one of my blogs on multisite goldsagelaw.com/backer not goldsagelaw.com

? he said I could fix the problem with the wp-config file or the htaccess or something like that.. Has anyone had this problem when working with multisite ?

• Toby

@Patrick Cohen @Timothy Bowers Here is what my hosting provider said problem is...

What we are seeing is the IP address for the account resolves to a Bluehost Ads page. From what I can tell, the Wordpress multisite is preventing the IP address from resolving to the domain goldsagelaw.com. By default, the IP address for an account points to (and pulls up) the content on the public_html directory. In an account without multisite, the primary domain for the account is able to be pulled up using the IP address, so long as the account has a dedicated IP (which yours does).

There may be some sort of .htaccess file adjustment that can be made for the multisite to successfully access the base domain instance of the Wordpress multisite. This would be a custom adjustment that you would need to make. We can help you access the .htaccess file on your server.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Toby,

So this is your IP address: 67.20.65.55

Enter that in your browser. You see their drop page, this is the problem because in order for this to work they need to change the DocumentRoot for the IP so that when you enter it in the browser you see your multisite, the one with the sites you want to map too.

If they wish to contact me they can go through our contact forms and address it to me. I'll happily chat with them about this if they need me too. :slight_smile:

Take care.