Domain mapping for TLDs

I have three questions with regards to the Domain Mapping plugins.

1. After I try to map a TLD (shutterphotographs.com) to shutterphotographs.redotzprojects.com, the status of the domain mapping shows invalid. I have tried to add a type A record but it doesn't seem to work. The following information is being used: Name - shutterphotographs.com, TTL - 14400, Type - A, Address - 108.167.136.43.

Have also tried to change the name to shutterphotographs but it doesn't work as well.

2. I am just thinking, if my clients are supposed to manage their own domain that are hosted on my host as sub-sites, what is the method to allow them to map their own domain to the sub-site? I can't possibly be giving them access to my cpanel.

3. If I want to add MX records for the mapped domain, should I be using parked domain? Else, how should it be done?

Thank you.

• Sajid

Hi Adrian,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

1. This error occurs when the domain is not fully propagated. Domain propagation may take anywhere from 2 hours 48 hours. If you are sure that your domain is fully propagated then you can disable the DNS verification check from Network -> Settings -> Domain Mapping -> Mapping Options -> Verify domain's DNS settings -> No.

2. If you are doing this manually then you have to configure each domain as you do yourself via cPanel. If you want automatic administration then you can use WHMCS or Enom reseller options. Once you have to configured the default DNS and IP address both setup. For all future domains will be automatically pointed to your server. Now your users can buy the domains and use those automatically.

But if your member want to point his existing domain purchased from somewhere else then you have to configure it again via cPanel.

3. MX records are not necessary to be used for Domain Mapping plugin. If you want to move or use the emails from existing server than you have to configure your mail servers that you used to access later. That depends on your hosting, if you are not sure then please contact your hosting for further assistance.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid

• Adrian

Hi Sajid,

It is mentioned within the Domain Mapping plugin that we can actually manage the domain name registrar.

For the purpose of these instructions we will assume you are doing this through cPanel, however if you are using a different panel or managing the DNS with the domain name registrar then the principle is just the same, the method of adding it might be a little different.

If I want to go via that route, do I have to enter name server for the domain? i.e. I will leave the name servers blank, enter A record that points to my server ip address.

Understand for questions 2 and 3.

Thank you for the reply.

• Adrian

Hi Sajid,

Just an update.

I have tried to use domain mapping for another domain. This time, I used parked domain instead and the health status shows valid. Though the website doesn't show what the sub-site is configured to show (my guess is due to the caching), it looks like it is currently working.

So, now I have a question. What should be the correct way to do domain mapping if I have a end-client who registered their own domain and only wants their contents to be hosted on my web server. Should it be that they point their name server to my name server then create a A DNS record pointing to my server's dedicated IP? By doing that, they can from their domain registrar configure their CNAME, MX, etc right?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
    Adrian

• Nastia

Hello Adrian

I hope you are doing well today!

If I want to go via that route, do I have to enter name server for the domain? i.e. I will leave the name servers blank, enter A record that points to my server ip address.

You need to add a mapped domain via the "Addon Domains" and point the root to your site. As for A records, you need to create these only for your domain name.

Should it be that they point their name server to my name server then create a A DNS record pointing to my server's dedicated IP?

Your client needs to point the DNS to your server in order to make the site that is hosted on your server to work. You will be able to configure MX records, A name, CNAME for this domain from your server.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Nastia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.