Domain Mapping Help with IP, A Record and CNAME

I have installed domain mapping following all the instructions. The issue I have is that my BP site is not the main domain I set up with Hostgator. I've logged in and can see where I can edit a domain (Simple DNS Zone Editor) in my account with A and CNAME records for individual domains. Looking at the list for this domain, I can see an A record that says "localhost" with a record number and several CNAME (www, ftp, mail). But I don't know what I'm supposed to put as a name and address for each to allow for domain mapping. Can anyone help?

• ltruex
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi David,
    No, the domains and hosting is all set up. But hostgator allows for multiple domains on a single account. I think this makes the IP address an issue for domain mapping. But I can see in Hostgator that I can an edit any of the domains I have with my account using Simple DNS Zone Editor with A and CNAME records. What I don't know is what I'm supposed to enter in the name and address for the A and CNAME records to make it work with domain mapping.

Thank you!

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi ltruex,

Pardon me if I seem a bit slow here, but I think I'm not understanding what you're trying to accomplish. Please let me know if the following is correct?

1. Your Hostgator account is setup under the main account, domain.com.
    2. You have a new domain name, newdomain.com, that you're now trying to map to a sub-folder on domain.com.

Is this correct?

Cheers,
    David

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Alright, in thinking through it further, I believe I do see what you're trying to achieve. You've already got domain.com (your main domain) and newdomain.com (your BuddyPress domain) setup and running. And you're now trying to route other domains to newdomain.com. Is this correct?

I'm not sure exactly how Hostgator works but I know that it's very similar to my own Hostmonster account. And on my account I simply assigned the new domain names as Parked domains and rather than relying on the default settings and having them point to the main domain, I specified for them to point to the relevant sub-folder of my other domain, which in your case would be your BuddyPress folder.

In these cases, I actually didn't need to make any adjustments to the CNAME or A Records. These records already pointed to the proper IP by default.

Please let me know if any of this is relevant to your scenario.

Cheers,
    David

• ltruex

Hi David,
    I'm not sure I understand your explanation.

I want to use domain mapping on my BP site. Because my IP for my host runs multiple sites, I'm trying to figure how to use the domain mapping with just the BP site. I have domain mapping installed, and added the IP address. But I'm getting a 404 page not found when I type in my IP (per the instructions on domain mapping page). Do I need to set up a dedicated host or is there something else I can do?

• ltruex

I parked the domain as indicated, but when I use the domain it goes to my original host account domain. As I indicated above, my BP install is on an addon domain. I tried to add redirect from the parked domain but I got an error that said there was an issue that prevented the redirect from ever completing. In talking with Hostgator, it indicates I can't park on an addon and need to redirect...which as I mentioned, didn't work. So I'm back to my original question, is it possible to use domain mapping on an addon domain? Is there something I can add to my DNS that will make it work?

Oh.. and with the WP update, the domain mapping isn't showing up as an option on supporter blogs. Neither does it show up as a plugin option on my supporter list. Any idea how to fix that?

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi ltruex,

When you parked the domain, did you have the option at that time to specify a folder for it to point to? The option should be present right at the time you're setting it up as a parked domain.

Could you let me know if such an option exists?

On the issue of the Supporter blogs not showing the Domain Mapping options, if you could post that to a separate thread, we'll see about taking a look into it there.

Cheers,
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.