Domain mapping – i can't use my translation

Hi, after updating to 3.0.7 i can’t use my translation.

On 3.0.5 text was translated.

  • aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

    Greetings puccino :slight_smile:

    I am sorry to hear that but it is expected.

    Whenever you do an update customized options are almost always lost.

    You can avoid having most customizations lost during updating by simply permissioning the file 444 as read only, then the update cannot over write your customization(s).

    In some cases doing this will cause the auto update to fail, in this case you then want to FTP the update to the server which still preserves your customizations.

    In rare cases it may still be necessary to over write your customizations to get the full effect of the update.

    Joe :slight_smile:

  • aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

    Greetings puccino :slight_smile:

    all due respect but you are missing the point and facts.

    You did NOT protect your custom files before doing the update therefore the translation is lost and you will need to redo the translation. That is a fact unless you have it backed up somewhere?

    and I suggested that in the future you permission the custom file or translation 444 read only so that it cannot happen again in the future.

    What do you not understand about this?

    Joe :slight_smile:

  • puccino
    • The Crimson Coder

    It’s not the first plugin i translate, and domain mapping can’t be updated automatically, so i updated it manually, and i did not lost my translations, that are already on my server.

    Then i have translated again plugin, and upload it again, and it’s not working.

  • aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

    Greetings Puccino :slight_smile:

    aha! now we are getting somewhere :slight_smile:

    First I only mentioned earlier about automatic updates etc. because of their relation to using the read only 444 permission.

    So your real problem if I understand correctly :slight_smile: is that you translated the new version of the plugin, uploaded the new translation, and it is not showing up as translated?

    have you cleared your browser cache?

    are you using cache in your WPMS and if so have you cleared that too?

    Believe it or not I am really just trying to help you figure out what has gone wrong or where the problem is :slight_smile:

    In addition, an attempt to help you so that you do not have your customizations over written during updates which is not always possible ….. but possible most of the time :slight_smile:

    Joe :slight_smile:

  • aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

    Greetings Puccino :slight_smile:

    I think I have the answer :slight_smile:

    After checking our WPMS installation and the domain mapping files – I can see that the previous version of the languages translation was named domainmap.mo and the new version has named the file domainmap-en_US.mo

    Therefore it is my opinion you need to rename your old translated file domainmap.mo to the new name domainmap-en_US.mo and it should work :slight_smile:

    Joe :slight_smile:

  • aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

    Greetings puccino :slight_smile:

    GREAT job and I am happy to hear that you got this worked out :slight_smile:

    As you can see I had found a discrepancy in the naming of the files protocol that I thought was jamming you up – and you found another possibility that works for you which is the most important thing :slight_smile:

    Joe :slight_smile:

  • Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

    Can you move your domain mapping plugin to /wp-content/plugins/domain-mapping and network activate it – then place your translation in the languages directory within that directory (may be best to download the latest version of the plugin again and upload the domain-mapping directory to your server).

    – you’ll have to delete the domain-mapping.php file from your mu-plugins directory before you network activate it from the plugins page.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.