Domain Mapping isn't working correctly

I'm having difficulty getting the domain mapping plugin to work on my MU instance. Right now I have followed all the instructions for installation, am using a subdomain install, have my wildcard setup, and have pointed the domain's A record to the IP address of my hosting account. Currently the domain I'm trying to resolve is and it should be resolving to Right now it's giving me a CPanel page from my hosting account. So that tells me the domain is at least hitting my account correctly, but for some reason the plugin is not picking it up. Don't know if you have any insight on this. If I can get this resolved it's my last issue... for now... :slight_smile:

Thanks for any help you can provide.

  • jakelisby
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

    I just realized that currently I don't have a dedicated IP address for my WP hosting account. I assume that is the problem, so I'm working to resolve that now. If this fixes the problem, I'll close out the issue.

  • Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

    Ya if you are getting a cPanel drop page then its the IP issue. Once you have that you should be all sorted. Be sure to have the host make the IP fall on your WordPress directory, i.e. when you enter the IP it loads your site. If not then it still won't work.

    Let us know how you get on.

    Take care.

  • jakelisby
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

    Ok, I'm still having the issue. I setup the dedicated IP address, and now resolves to my site. I've also setup the A @ record for the domain to point to the same IP. On the WP side I've setup the domain mapping. For some reason that domain is still getting the CPanel page.

    Shawn, can you give me a bit more instruction on what you suggested? I haven't really messed with Apache stuff before. Where would I find those files?

  • jakelisby
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

    Wait a second, sorry about this. The domain mapping is working for domains other than I originally had a hosting account setup with this domain as the primary. I assume that's the main difference between it and the other domain that is now correctly working.

    Is there a way to clear the cache so the server stops trying to push that domain to the hosting account and releases it so the domain mapping plugin can take over?

  • Shawn
    • The Crimson Coder

    Are you 100% positive that the previous hosting account has been COMPLETELY removed and disabled for If not, do that now. There should be absolutely no reference to it at all in the server, including DNS or Apache configurations.

    If there's no reference to it in the server config, then it's entirely possible that it's on your end.

    Have you tried from a different computer / browser? The site is loading fine for me (a countdown timer using the Landis theme), which suggests it might be something as simple as a HOSTS entry on your primary computer or a browser cache issue. Most current browsers actually cache redirect behavior, so you might find you have to close all browser windows, go 'about:blank' then purge the browser cache in the browser, THEN reboot. Sometimes this is the only way to effectively bypass a cached 301 redirect.

  • Fanus van Straten
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

    Argh...This is really giving me nightmares!

    1) I have a domain parked with Yahoo Web Hosting -

    2) I have done the A Record setup for the above domain to point to the IP

    3) I have a multisite install at on my server with IP

    4) I also have other domains active on the above IP.

    5) I have setup a sub site at address and pointed the domain mapping plugin to

    6) My problem persists that everything keeps on pointing to which is another domain on the above server IP.

    7) When typing into my browser's address bar it does go to so that shows that is indeed the default domain on my server so I therefore don't understand why everything keeps on redirecting to

    Please, any help will be appreciated.

    Note: I am not using Apache, but NGINX.

  • aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

    Greetings Neil Basson,

    Sorry for the delay in a reply here, if I had not been digging around in the back of the ticket system it may have never been found.

    After this ticket was originally closed, it was no longer being monitored by WPMU Dev Staff.

    Please open your own ticket feeling free to copy and paste any and all relevant information from this ticket into your new one and someone will be on it asap.

    Thank you for your understanding and look forward to seeing you on the ticket system front end.

    Sincerely, Joe

  • Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

    Nevermind, I ended up working it out for myself when I received no answer from you guys.

    When posting on the back of other peoples tickets this can happen, thats a common thing around the internet not just here, especially when a thread is marked as resolved.

    If something is marked as resolved then generally it requires no further attention.

    Really you need to be opening your own ticket next time, then it gets the attention of staff. As soon as one of our staff then replies it gets tagged to their support feeds to follow and work on whilst its shown as not resolved.


Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.