Domain mapping issue

My client has several parked domains that she wants me to point to various pages within her site. I've tried a bunch of different ways to get this to work -- htaccess, cpanel redirects, parked domain redirects, and a lot of google sleuthing -- but I can't get it to work. I'm not sure whether I should try the domain mapping or multi-domain plugin. Right now she's set up with a WP network because eventually some of these parked domains will become independent sites. The redirects worked before I switched her site to a network, so I suspect that has a lot to do with the problems we're having. Help?

• aecnu

Greetings daveku,

Sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble trying to get redirects to work again.

It is my opinion that the problem you are having has to do with internal DNS resolving of your hosting package.

The Multi-Domains plugin is certainly NOT the answer here and the Domain Mapping plugin is the answer for the mapping of those domains that will become full fledged sites.

My client has several parked domains that she wants me to point to various pages within her site.

Do you have a way to put or park these specific domains on another IP?

Could you please give me one of the domains and what it's proposed destination URL is so I make sure to advise correctly?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• daveku

Hi Joe, thanks for helping.

I'd like to hear more about 'the internal DNS resolving.' I'm running my clients' sites on a dedicated server with Liquid Web, so there may be a way to fix this if I need to make changes on the server.

Since I'm on a dedicated server I can add more IP addresses but because I'm unclear on how this stuff works I guess I'd want to know what kind of flexibility this would get me.

One of the problem domains: spiritandsplendor.org/.com should be redirecting to jenningscenter.org/spiritandsplendor.

--Dave

• aecnu

Greetings Dave,

Hopefully this is a MultiSite installation directory install?

On a Dedicated IP i.e. dedicated to just this site?

With the jenningscenter.org/spiritandsplendor as one of the MultiSite sub sites?

If this is the case then you want to indeed try the Domain Mapping plugin and Map the domain spiritandsplendor.org/.com to the sub site jenningscenter.org/spiritandsplendor

Please advise if this works out or if the configuration is different then what I described.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings Dave,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.