Domain Mapping issues

SO I'm having the worst issues with domain mapping. I would love to be able to make it work with parked domains, as I will be managing all of the sites domain names as well.

I have literally tried everything (I can think of) and have gotten no positive results.

Currently I have the site 2weekstolive.com as an addon domain and pointing at the root of the multi site install (nielsenzeal.com) I also have the multisite set up with all the proper steps in the config file, sunrise.php and the user site set to have the correct domain.

The domain redirects proper to the main site but then does not go to the users site.

If Someone could please help me get this all straightened out I would be extremely appreciative

• mariawhalen

Hmm... This other plugin didn't really seem to work as well. I guess I feel like something is wrong in the cname/dns settings department.

Here are a couple things I do not have set up as some people have instructed. I DO NOT have a dedicated IP to the particular domain with the MU system setup, from my understanding this will still work. I do have a dedicated IP on the server that is just not the main domain that pulls up when you type the IP in the browser.

I am running subdirectory installs, I can change this to subdomains if that will fix the problem - I personally do not care at this point just need it to work.

I have tried the WPMUdev mapping plugin and the one suggested by caritasdesigns

The server is on hostgator (its a reseller server so I have access to almost everything) and runs WHM and Cpanel.

I need to get these domains mapping properly as I have customers waiting for this feature who have already purchased domains.

Thanks everyone for your quick help

~Blaine

• aecnu

Greetings Blaine,

Thank you once again for the additional input, it helps a lot.

The problem appears to be that the main domain, nielsenzeal.com, in not on a dedicated IP and when the domain comes in to be mapped it is not hitting the WordPress installation to be resolved.

It is hitting the domain that comes up when you enter just the IP 216.172.184.94

Type just the IP number into your browser and your WordPress installation should come up, but it does not, it is another site.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• mariawhalen

Joe,

Correct me if I'm wrong but I read in the docs you do not need a dedicated IP to make this work. It seemed like there was a way to do it without dedicated IP address:

More options?

Yeah there are, you can also use Addon Domains and Parked Domains. They must point to the root of your multisite installation in order to function correctly.

This method also does not require a dedicated IP address.

However its not recommended you use this method for client websites as you will have to manually control their DNS. You would need to deal with MX Records if they wish to use email on that domain as well as other DNS requests.

I can move over to a dedicated IP if thats the only way it will work.

Thanks for your helpful responses I trust we can get this all figured out today

• Tom Eagles

Greetings and thanks for being a great community member.
    We haven't heard from you on this one for long and I am doing a regular followup to see if there is still something we can assist you on this thread.
    Just to manage the support issues more efficiently, I am marking this thread as resolved for now however this is not being done to avoid your questions in any way.
    Please feel free to mark this is "Not resolved" in case you have further questions and we would be back on it.
    Thanks a lot for being with WPMU DEV.
    Cheers!
    Tom
    Sales &Support
    Did you know we offer FREE lifetime memberships? Click here to learn more.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.