Domain mapping issues: Domain name is unavailable to access

I’m trying to use Domain Mapping on my site, but I’m having issues setting it up.

I have set up a dedicated IP address for my WordPress multisite install and I also have a WildCard SSL certificate to use SSL with the sub domains. I have also setup Cloudflare for my WP Multisite and have added the proper records for my IP address (the domain A record for the domain I want to map is pointing to my IP), etc., and I also added the domain I want to map to Cloudflare.

However, when I go to map the domain I get an error message: “Domain name is unavailable to access”.

I tried disabling “Verify domain’s DNS settings” and “Check domain propagation before mapping” in Network Admin -> Settings -> Domain Mapping and now I’m getting ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS.

What steps am I missing?

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Matt F

I can see you are using SSL on the mapped domain. We have a known issue on this scenario that SSL on mapped domain creates a redirect loop.

I am adding your ticket to that bug report, so that you can be notified when the bug will be fixed. Besides, please keep an eye on the release note.

Also, would you please let me know if you have a separate SSL certificate for the mapped domain or you are using a multi domain SSL?

Have a nice day!

Cheers,

Ash

• Matt F
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

How do I get access to my site: hempworxedmonton.com now that I cannot access the dashboard of the site?

This is extremely frustrating not only for me but I can’t imagine the nightmare that this would be if I opened this site up to others with a pain plan which is what I was planning on doing.

For now I’m going to deactivate the plugin.

Do you know of an approximate time line in regards to when this bug will be fixed?

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Matt F

This is extremely frustrating not only for me but I can't imagine the nightmare that this would be if I opened this site up to others with a pain plan which is what I was planning on doing.

For now I'm going to deactivate the plugin.

Yes, I can understand that and I am really sorry for that. For now, you can also keep the plugin active and delete the mapped domain from Network Admin > Settings > Domain Mapping > Mapped Domain:

And you can still add any non-ssl domain to any subsite.

Do you know of an approximate time line in regards to when this bug will be fixed?

I would be happy if I could, but unfortunately I don't have any ETA right at the moment. I can see on our status board the issue is being fixed by the developer. So the developer is already working on this and I hope it will be released very soon. We appreciate your patience.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,

Ash

• Thebe
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi guys,

I also have been experiencing some issues on this topic. I was also getting the same message that the domain access is unavailable the whole day yesterday, so I thought i have to wait for servers to propagate but still today its still the same. So I just change the option and disable the system from checking the dns first before it validate and now i get the invalid health status as shown from the link below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tpHcKlUWYo1ks8TEl3YC2XHvjOfI1gaf

My multisite domain is setup on cloudflare and it uses cloudflare ssl

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Thebe

• Ash
      • WordPress Hacker

Hello thebe

I have seen the domain you added is showing “DNS resolution error”. The domain map will work only when the site points to the main site. That means, before mapping if you enter the domain in the browser, the main site should load. So, there is a configuration issue I believe.

However, this is a quite old thread. Would you please create a new thread or join our live support here?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/live-support/

We will try our best to help you.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,

Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.