Domain Mapping - Login Errors

I am currently using a subdomain wpms install on a dedicated ip. I have installed Domain Map and users point A records to me, where I map external TLD to our subsite.maindomain.tld

Now here are the problems. We have had this working fine with all domains when set to have Admin and Login use the Mapped Domain. No problems with Ultimate FB, etc. However we noticed the Edit Image/Media options no longer worked. We couldnt quickly tweak existing things in the visual editor.

So we pulled the domain mapping to have it log in to the Original Domain (subdomain.oursite.com)

Now whats happening is users randomly get bugs when attempting to login or logout. The admin features work, but the if someone uses the logout link in dashbar, it never logs them out of their site. They have to go back to mainsite to logout. They can login to site, and navigate around find, same issues with logout

I have tried allowing people to log in using the mapped/original domain, but of course the admin dashboard errors out.

There have also been reports of people editing things from originaldomain.mainsite.com, previewing on a mapped domain which gives them mappedodmain.com?preview=blahblah
..and when they do that, they get insufficient permissions errors.

Now what is even more interesting is it seems @Aaron is using Ron's MU Domain mapping plugin
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/dont-redirect-admin-ajax

Thoughts?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings in-mn,

Thank you for the detailed explanation of what is going on there to include other details and issues you are experiencing with the options i.e. mapped/original domain etc.

I do not think that Aaron was using that plugin and probably he was trying to figure out how to overcome an issue with our own version - reverse engineering and that was a year ago as well.

Personally I do not use either of them. I use Networks for WordPress plugin which has Domain Mapping built in, much cleaner in my personal opinion but I have never tried to apply it to Pro Sites type of situation.

When I did use the Domain Mapping plugin, I set it to use the domain the user typed in.

However, there seems to be some real craziness going on there for you.

Therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer @Barry in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings in-mn,

I have indeed flagged Barry the lead developer of Domain Mapping on this issue and as I mentioned in a domain mapping related ticket I have flagged him there as well.

Reference: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/wpmudev-plugins-that-dont-play-nice-together

I do appreciate your your efforts shedding light on these issues and hopefully Barry will be able to get these items resolved for us sooner then later.

Cheers, Joe

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

I know we've had a few updates to this plugin since this topic was last discussed. Is anyone having ongoing issues still or can we mark this one resolved? (hoping so and marking resolved - but feel free to reopen)

Please let us know. Thanks!

• in-mn
    • The Crimson Coder

Thats fine - i stopped using, so i cant comment as if its been fixed or not. The one from ron/automatic has a little better control including domain administration area in network admin.

Hopefully someday you add that as well.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hmm... I'll have to check that out. So you can turn domain mapping on and off for individual sites and define them from the network admin? That makes sense.

Actually, domain mapping is one of the things that may possibly be included by default as of WordPress 3.6 - at which point plugins will be kinda irrelevant. Thanks again!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.