domain mapping: /mu-plugins or /plugins

Hi,

I installed the plugin under

/wp-content/plugins/domain-mapping

This activated but now I'm wondering if this is set up incorrectly.

Do I really need to use /mu-plugins (which doesn't exist and therefore must be created)?

The reason I ask is because the plugin does not show up to be activated if I create a mu-plugins folder and add it there.

Also, the directions are terribly unclear ..

If your domain name includes a sub-domain such as "blog" then you can add a CNAME for that hostname in your DNS pointing at this blog URL.

If you want to redirect a domain you will need to add a DNS "A" record pointing at the IP address of this server: 64.62.209.14

What does that mean??

There are too many "that" "this" .. .. in the statement to be clear.

So .. If I put the domain name in the mapping area then the site will not load. If I leave it blank then go to godaddy - and do a forward to the subdomain then most of the time this works but I'm seeing weird behavior. Some times it flat out does not load the sites ...

• LPH

Yes - there is definitely trouble.

The directions are too poorly worded for me. I'll suffer about but this doesn't work when I added it to the /mu-plugins (which I created).

Nothing shows up in the wp-admin/network/settings.php

Update:

Alright - I have it showing up with it in /mu-plugins by only uploading the domain-mapping.php file into /mu-plugins.

Now - about these cryptic statements:

If your domain name includes a sub-domain such as "blog" then you can add a CNAME for that hostname in your DNS pointing at this blog URL.

If you want to redirect a domain you will need to add a DNS "A" record pointing at the IP address of this server: 64.62.209.14

What do they mean?

• Mason

Hiya LPH,

Your initial question was whether or not domain mapping should be installed in mu-plugins. I answered that question and marked it resolved

Now as to the sentences that you are having trouble with:

What about this is confusing to you? Are you familiar at all with DNS? You'll need to be able to log into your domain registrar and find your DNS settings to create the A record.

I did a video tutorial for domain mapping from start to finish several months ago - it's outdated in that the wordpress menus are from 3.0, but the process is largely the same. I'm using a shared hosting account through hostgator and godaddy for the domain registrar. Take a look:
    http://www.vimeo.com/16013476

Thanks!

• LPH

Hi,

First - let me thank you for all of your help. I'm the worst offender of skimming - tinkering - messing things up - and learning from the experience

Second - let me thank you for a second time so you understand that I'm sincere in letting you know I appreciate this site and your help.

Now - the video showed me things I've already figured out - sort of - and I was much appreciative of watching it. It straightened out a few things that I was learning along the way.

Here is the main issue now. Your video assumes I have access to cpanel (I do not) - and that my godaddy domains are set up the same way as in the video. Let's separate things out to clarify things for me (about the DNS step).

Within Domain Details at GoDaddy
    (1) Park the domain so that godaddy has access to the DNS
    (2) Edit the A record to point to the dedicated IP address

In this scenario, I do not need to modify anything on the hosting server setup, correct? You parked the domain on that server but I can do that on GoDaddy.

The plugin mapping makes sense to me now - and will work once I have the DNS recorded edited and it has propagated.

Am I missing anything or anything out of whack?

Warm regards!

• Mason

Hiya LPH,

No worries. Really, we're here to help and want to see you be successful at this

The video is meant to hit on the most typical scenario for folks - yours is different and that's ok but the process still is overall the same. So let's take a look.

Your video assumes I have access to cpanel (I do not)

Is your WordPress install hosted with godaddy? Whomever your host provider is will have provided you with some sort of control panel for your site. If you are on shared hosting you will need to 'park' your domain at your host. It may not be cPanel, but Plesk and MediaTemple all have this ability to 'park' a domain.

If you're not sure where to park your domain contact your host provider, they should be able to assist you in this quite easily.

It sounds like you have everything else setup correctly - you're right it may just take awhile for the new DNS settings to propogate. Give it 24 hrs max and you should be good to go. Let us know if it's not working and we'll take another look - same with the other thread.

Thanks!

• LPH

OK.This is almost working as expected.

The sites are now loading properly, including the commentsupport site that I asked about in the other thread.

However

When I was doing domain masking through godaddy then I was still logged into the sites as I went from one to another. If I use the domain mapping then I have to re-log into the sites. Did I set something up wrong?

PS. I'm reading other threads on here now to see if others are asking a similar question.

• Mason

Hiya LPH,

Glad to hear it's working for ya

If I use the domain mapping then I have to re-log into the sites. Did I set something up wrong?

Nope. That's how it has to work by default. Session cookies are stored per-domain so logging into one domain won't log you into all of them. One solution is to set the admin areas up to be mapped either 'domain entered by user' or 'original domain'. This way, you can log into the original name and browse all site's admin areas without the need to re-login to each one.

It would be possible to setup a solution whereby logging into the sub-site is routed to the main-site and, if verified, would send out a session cookie for each domain, but the problem here is that the browser would have to be redirected through each domain - and you'd quickly hit the limit of redirects at 15 domains or so.

I'm not sure how else it could be done, but it's not a function that we offer through domain mapping at this point.

Hope that helps!