Domain Mapping & Multi-Domain

First - Happy New Year!! Looking forward to an exciting 2011 from you guys!

Just installed domain mapping and multi-domain. I figured out the name change for the dm-sunrise.php (should include this in instructions).

After install my site is now dragging. From the backend of my site when navigating from one item to another it used to be very fast and now it takes a long time to change pages.

I can see in the notification bar that it appears to be waiting for random sub-domains of my site while changing pages on the root backend.

E.g. I am in the backend of mysite.com and the notification bar says waiting for 123.mysite.com then 345.mysite.com then 598.mysite.com.

As I change to another page in the backend it randomly selects another 3-5 sub-domains to wait for as if it is loading from several different sub-domains.

I didn't get this response until I added multi-domain.

I swapped the domain mapping plugin from wordpress.org for your domain mapping plugin without issue. In fact, this seemed to significantly improve site performance in that the mapped domains respond much faster and don't have to go through the login process.

I added multi-domain and molasses.

Any thoughts on how to resolve would be greatly appreciated.

Pat

• wlpdrpat

OK. As soon as I uninstall multi-domain things are fantastic again.

I am sure that I am not the only person that has experienced this.

Is there a specific way in which to install Multi-Domain in combination with Domain Mapping to get them to work properly together? E.g. should I have installed Multi-Domain first and then install Domain Mapping?

You say that these two plugins are designed to work together. I would like to make this happen. Any instructions on how to achieve this without causing the backend to move like molasses would be great.

Pat

• wlpdrpat

Hey Ulrich,

I have narrowed it down. I uninstalled domain mapping and re-installed multi-domain and the backend becomes molasses again.

The Multi-Domain plugin has a SERIOUS BUG!!.

I am looking through the code today to see what I can find. However, in it current revision 1.1 it is not a usable plugin.

I am not sure what is causing it to call multiple sub-domains on each page refresh in the backend but this has to be worked out for this plugin to become workable.

Pat

• wlpdrpat

Hey Ulrich,

I really want the Multi-Domain plugin to work and I am trying to debug.

I tried installing it on a clean install of WP 3.0.4 with no other plugins installed and with the Twenty Ten theme (doesn't get any more basic than that). I created a handful of sub-domain sites (10 to be exact) for testing purposes. I then installed Multi-Domain (the only plugin installed or active).

Still has the same bug.

Once Multi-Domain is installed the backend of the site become slow to respond. You can see in the progress bar (on Chrome) that it is calling multiple sub-domains in the process of refreshing the page in the backend. It doesn't matter what page I try to access in the backend of the site I get the same result - Molasses!

I really, really want this plugin to work but using it can't include a backend of Molasses in January!

Thanks,
    Pat

• wlpdrpat

Hey Aphrodite,

Are you using WP 3.0.4?

The backend page load difference for me:

Without the Multi-Domain: less than 2 sec
    With the Multi-Domain: from 8 to 20 seconds.

That is not a little bit especially given the fact that I have 300+ users that have become accustomed to fast page loads in the backend. If they suddenly see 8-20 second page loads they will be saying, "What the %&/$%&!!!"

I look forward to Ulrich's thoughts on this.

Thanks,
    Pat

• wlpdrpat

A plugin that is designed to offer multiple domain names must be able to handle high volume without causing load issues. Seems that would be an essential as the whole point (for me anyway) is to be able to expand on the verticals that I am able to serve. I organized my plan to be able to open my service into new verticals for 2011 and this plugin was an essential ingredient.

Really hope Ulrich can help get this one rocking.

(P.S. That donation link will look much more appealing/clickable if I can get this one up and running ASAP)

Pat

• Ulrich

Hey @wlpdrpat,

I will add a constant in the next version allowing you to disable the single signon.

why do you need single sign on and is it needed in the backend?

Suppose you setup two domains (e.g. domain1.com and domain2.com), and a user has the following sites: site1.domain1.com, site2.domain1.com, site3.domain2.com.
    By default, when the user log in to site1.domain1.com, they are automatically logged in to site2.domain1.com also and they can access its backend without log in again. But they are not logged in to site3.domain2.com since it is a different domain. The single signon feature allows them to be automatically logged in to all the websites they have.

I am wondering why there is such a huge delay on your site. A performance issue was reported only one time here, and it was a 1 second delay, not that huge.

• tveenstra

Hey everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the same issue, but we have been experiencing slow server response from WP 3.0.4. with Domain Mapping installed aswell. Now, we've been doing Wordpress just for a little while, but this particular plugin made us make this jump.

Any given day, opening up either the backend or frontend of any Wordpress website on this server for the first time, gives a 20 second delay. After that initial response delay, all is working quite snappy again for at least a couple of hours. More testing is needed.

We have 11 sites (none in production) and 6 users. The 133 Theme Pack is installed. Installed plugins are jQuery Drop Down Menu, jQuery Slider for Featured Content and wp-jquery-lightbox.

WPMU plugins are: Branding plugin, Domain Mapping and Update Notifications.

This is on a 1GB RAM VPS with Rackspace Cloud on Debian 5 with Virtualmin. Response times from Europe to Rackspace's Cloud can be non-optimal at times, but 20 seconds is only seen on this setup.

I'm sorry for bugging you if this is unrelated and please discard my post here if that is the case. Maybe it's the update notications checking 135 or so themes, who knows. I'll get rid of a bunch.

Again, more testing is needed. I'll setup a similar WP install soon and testdrive that and report back.

Thanks,

Nico

• Ulrich

In 1.1.3, the way the single signon feature works has changed, there have been changes in how the data is stored in the database and the css are now loaded only on first admin page load after login. This will improve performance.
    You can also enable/disable single signon on the plugin settings page.

Do you think it could be faster if instead of storing all the multi-domains in
    SELECT meta_value FROM {$wpdb->sitemeta} WHERE meta_key = 'md_domains' AND site_id = 1
    They could be stored like the mapped domains?

WordPress caches the options so there is actually only one db query.

• wlpdrpat

Hey Ulrich,

It was like an early birthday present!! I saw your post yesterday and realized that you had released a new version of Multi-Domain.

I installed it and voila!!! No performance issues that I can see at this point.

I tried enabling the single signon and got the same result as previously experienced. However, now that we have the option to not use the single signon this module is the business.

I don't know at what level performance issues would be experienced with single signon but in our setup we now have 265 domain and 27 mapped domains. With the addition of this module we are now adding 6 domains to choose from.

Quick question: if we have a site that is on domain1 and we want to move it to domain2 how would we achieve this? For the moment we have used domain mapping but I am not sure it this will end up causing an issue.

e.g. site1.domain1.com wants to change to site1.domain2.com - what is the best solution for achieving this.

Thanks again for the latest version.

Pat

• alberti

@wlpdrpat we had almost exactly the same issue as you 6 months ago. We have hundreds of root domains on a single multi-site install, and each has hundreds of subdomains. As Aaron explained to us, the mutli-site plugin wasn't designed for this level of scaling.

We did find a solution that also gives us single sign on. A user logs in once and has access to the entire network, unless we exlude them via the membership plugin The deal we had to make was to give up user generated subdomains on the fly.

Hope this helps.