Domain mapping, Multi domain, network+, buddypress and multi-db

Hello,

Has anyone used the combination of domain mapping, multi-domain, network+ and buddypress?

I would like to setup several networks off a main-site and also use buddypress. However, I would like separate buddypress instance for each network. This will mean that we will have

Mainsite.com

subsite1.mainsite.com mapped to subsite1.com (This will have its own buddypress instance and also child sites e.g. childsite.subsite1.com). With this setup, I will not need the multi-domain plugin as each site will have its own registration etc.

Also will this work with multi-db? We are currently using w3 total cache so if the issues have been resolved with multi-db then that would be great.

Has anyone setup such a system or would I be better off setting up separate networks and finding a way to get the information onto the ‘mother ship’

Thanks

• Mark de Scande
    • Syntax Hero

Yes yes and yes :slight_smile:

You would need Cpanel to make your life easy + https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multi-domains/ + https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping

I have my main site bloglines.co.za

The users can pick to have there blogs listed at

megabucks4you.com / theblogshopping.com / thisnetwork.co.za / victoriaparkhigh.co.za

or they can have there own website listed with no advertising kentontennisclub.co.za This also runs off BlogLines.co.za

So yes it is all doable :slight_smile:

No w3 total cache is not compatible with multi-db as it will over right your multi-db

Also will this work with multi-db? We are currently using w3 total cache so if the issues have been resolved with multi-db then that would be great.

Again just have a look at BlogLines.co.za mother ship one BIG site with all the stuff on it .

Before i started i had a bunch of small wp sites and they were point liss now i have one super BIG mother ship Thanks to @wpmu you guys rocks :slight_smile:

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Yep, sounds like that should work for ya. Using multiple WPMS instances does indeed negate the use of multi-domains and will allow you to run multiple instances of BuddyPress.

Of course that’s more management overhead but there are plugins that can help with that.

Phil

• Miss B Hayving
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@mark de Scande I’ve been checking out your site (noice!)… not sure if you know or now – but you have some funky  characters on this page: http://bloglines.co.za/store/products/bronze-website-package/

I had them on my site and use the sitewide replace to get rid of em.

Also any chance you could share with me how you handle the domain registration & hosting through the signup process for new customers. (I’m in Australia so no conflict of interest there lol)

cheers

Stef

• Mark de Scande
    • Syntax Hero

Sure :slight_smile:

Also any chance you could share with me how you handle the domain registration & hosting through the signup process for new customers.

.com domain registration I do this trough my host at SoftLayer.com

But there is a trick i would log in to my DNS panel and then add 2 Lines

bloglines.co.za. 60 IN A 173.193.159.98

*.bloglines.co.za. 60 IN A 173.193.159.98

Then i would log in to Cpanel

Parked Domains I will park the new domain

Subdomains I will add a willed * card for the new domain

I will then click the Advanced DNS Zone Editor an add these lines

bloglines.co.za. 60 IN A 173.193.159.98

*.bloglines.co.za. 60 IN A 173.193.159.98

Hosting is done on BlogLines.co.za as i run my own dedicated server

SO most of the possess are done one by one Long way of doing things but it works :slight_smile:

If you need more info just drop me a mail/FB or just post here.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.