Domain mapping, multi-domain or something else?

I am using WP3.01 multi-site. Presently, I am on a shared IP address which I can upgrade to dedicated when necessary.

I chose a sub-directory network rather than sub-domain network.

Some of my WP sub-sites use the same names as domain names I own, purposely because I thought I could connect this as follows:

I wish to have http://mysubdomain.tld
send me to http://mymaindomain.tld/mysubdomain

1. Is this possible?

2. Could I have done this easily had I chosen a sub-domain network and used an add-on sub-domain?

3. My host says an add-on domain sends me to mysubdomain.mymaindomain.com

4. But I don't really want to redo my whole WP installation to change to a sub-domain network.

5. Does either the "Domain Mapping" or "Multi-site" plugin accomplish this goal?

Thanks,

Ed

exberry

My question is about what Domain Mapping and Multi-site really do, and what is the difference between them. I am not sure which, if either, plugin will do the job I describe above.

You may tell me I need to reinstall using sub-domains to relate the domains in my project. That sounds like a big job unless someone has a neat way to carry all my posts forward easily.

Here is the immediate problem I need to solve:

When I have a sub-domain sitting in the same account as my primary domain, this sub-domain creates a folder in my public-html, and when it does, people can no longer get to my WP sub-site because this folder sends them to my host's default page. I can delete this folder and make things work, temporarily, until the folder reappears.

Maybe there is a program I can put in these default folders, but I don't have a clue about what to do and, unfortunately, neither does my host because no one there understands the difference between WP single site and multi-site.

Thanks,

Ed

Mason

Hiya Ed,

I'm trying to wrap my (admittedly tired) brain around what you're wanting to accomplish. ;D

I'm gonna try to rephrase things a bit and see if it answers your question. If not, you'll just have to break it down for me a bit further.

Your site currently has a sub-directory install.

When new sites are created within WordPress they should look like this:
    domain.com/newsite1
    domain.com/newsite2

Now, you have purchased a few domain names and would like to use them on your site. Let's call them domainA and domainB.

If wordpress is installed on domainA it'd look like this:
    domainA.com/newsite1
    domainA.com/newsite2

Domain mapping would allow you to do something like this:
    domainA.com/newsite1 = domainB.com

Users would never see domainA.com/newsite1 because it would be mapped to domainB.com

Our Multi-Domain plugin would be useful when you want to have a scenario like this:
    domainA.com/newsite1
    domainB.com/newsite2

It allows you to have multiple domains from which you can create new sites - all on one WordPress install.

Since you're using a sub-directory install, I don't believe you have any need to create sub-domains with your host. I could be wrong on that as I've never tried it, but I don't think you need them.

Unless I've completely misread everything (possible) and you actually want a subdomain for some purpose?

Hope this helps, but give me some feedback and we'll get there I'm sure.

Thanks!

exberry

Hi Mason,

You copied me just right. Now I can understand that I should focus on Domain Mapping rather than Multi-site. I was getting confused.

However, I may have to solve my related problem first because mapping the domains may not prevent this other problem:

When I have a sub-domain sitting in the same account as my primary domain, this sub-domain creates a folder in my public-html, and when it does, people can no longer get to my WP sub-site because this folder sends them to my host's default page. I can delete this folder and make things work, temporarily, until the folder reappears.

Would you like me to begin a new thread for this one?

Thanks,

Ed

Greg

Hi Mason,

I just joined WPMU DEV Pro and am considering the above scenario but wondering about using the subdomain install vs. directory install. Would you tell me the advantages and disadvantages on this and how/if using the subdomain option changes what you have said above?

And, then extend the above input to include instruction on what would change if anything in regards to which plugins are needed.

My scenario would be is as follows:
    WPMS install on DomainA

Then we will create (have users ask us to create)

newsite1.DomainA username1 using "username" as the newsite name like samsjones.wordpress.org
    newsite2.DomainA username2
    newsite3.DomainA username3
    newsite4.DomainA username4
    newsite5.DomainA username5

We will also having a set of domain names in the wings for users to select:
    DomainB
    DomainC
    DomainD
    DomainE

And will use domain mapping to point newsite1/DomainA to username1.DomainB or C, D, E based on what they select.

Presumably using "multi-domain" plugin to give the users the URL selection.

And we would presume to use BuddyPress at DOMAIN A representing the branded "COMMUNITY SITE" discussed below.

"IF" I got that right...

We are confused about how to do the following:

1) Single WPMU base install with multiple membership sites and wanting single sign-up(reg) / single sign-on capability across multiple sites with potentially different membership levels on each site for the same user (we could use any membership SW you recommend, though we've been using Wishlist Member to date)

The sites we are aiming at look like...

- MAIN.COM SITE (branded corp site) and a Subdomain (product download) site

- COMMUNITY.ORG SITE (the community site, buddypress site mentioned above)

- CLIENT.COM SITE and private Subdomain ("vip" and or "project" ) site using different themes for some of these sites

Imagining the the COMMUNITY.ORG site only = BuddyPress

Want...

2) Each above to be a "Membership Site" (default security = Member Only Community Private)

3) And for the COMMUNITY SITE only...

Each member (based upon their name) would be assigned 1 blog (their name for subdomainURL, with them naming their blog tagline at signup and with all default posts type= private (members only) and ability to set post-type and more-tag on some content and posts as "PUBLIC" info (public internet)

3.1) Want ability for certain membership levels say MemberLevel 1 and ML2 - but not ML3, ML5 - to be able to create Small Groups (with everything hard set to be private to group members only)

and...

3.2) Want to establish a Nano Group for the user automatically (at sign-up with everything private to 4 people only) NamedUser1, SuperAdmin, generic 'Guest' (for whom we assign login credentials from time to time that expire) and a Moderator/Coach
    ----

Question is if can/how to implement the above using private GROUPS in BuddyPress while also wanting to know how to use the Multi-domain and domain mapping plugins properly, and generally soliciting help to understand what OTHER plugins to use.

We can see how to set up most of this based upon existing plugins but have not done a WPMU nor implemented something like the multi-domains plug-in before.

Would presume to use the best BuddyPress theme available to match above requirements. (your recommendation would be appreciated)

Could you help us understand if we are on track, and it this seems too difficult to do ONLY using plugins and no-programming settings and configs for those plugins?

Thanks in advance. (sorry so long)

Best,
    Greg

Mason

Hiya Greg,

Well, first off, welcome to WPMU DEV!

I'm gonna be honest, I've read through this 3 times and I keep getting lost

I'd recommend dropping by one of our live chats (I run one on Tues 10AM EST) to discuss this in more detail - and sort some things out one at a time.

I'll say this though, I think a sub-domain install is the way to go. Additionally you'll need both our Domain Mapping plugin and most likely the Multi-Domains plugin as well.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multi-domains

I haven't used Wishlist so I can't say whether that will allow you to have an instance of it activated on each individual site (so that each is it's own membership site) but ours here will:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership

You can set BuddyPress to be on any of your sub-sites (rather than the main site) through a config option as explained here:
    http://codex.buddypress.org/extending-buddypress/changing-internal-configuration-settings/

3.1) Want ability for certain membership levels say MemberLevel 1 and ML2 - but not ML3, ML5 - to be able to create Small Groups (with everything hard set to be private to group members only)

That'd be up to Wishlist (though, again, I know our Membership plugin does this though)

BuddyPress Theme - Up to you and the needs of your site You can see many of ours in action here:
    http://themetastic.com

Hope this is somewhat helpful for ya. Let's do specific questions from here on out in the forums and, hopefully, we'll be able to help get ya the solution you're looking for.

Thanks!