Domain mapping not redirecting like it should

I transfered from the MU Wordpress Domain Mapping plugin recently. As i was told to just hit undelete for the old one and install this new one it should work. Alright so i did this and everything was working really nice.

Now i'm having problem as i have started to transfer another domain to a sub site and after 2 days it just redirect's to the main site. I have tried to deactivate and activate the plugin also if that would be the case but that doesn't appear to be so.

Any thoughts where i should start to look for a solution?

• Niko

Does the plugin from here really need a dedicated ip? i'm on shared hosting currently and the earlier plugin didn't need the dedicated ip to work. As it would seem that the earlier domains mapped with MU Domain Mapping plugin works but new ones doesn't seem direct like it should.

So i'm wondering what is the maincause about it? Tomorrow i have to just change back to the MU one if this ain't working since got a business to run.

Any help would be really appreciated! :slight_smile:

• aecnu

Greetings Niki,

Thank you for your input which is very helpful.

Have you set the domain to be mapped to a sub site within the Domain Mapping settings? i.e. Logged into the site admin dashboard go to --> Tools --> Domain Mapping and you should be able to see the mapped domain allocations for the current sites and sub sites in the network.

Is there a record for the domain you want to map - to the sub site that you want to map it too?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Niko

Hi Aecnu,

Yes i had entered the wanted domain in tools --> Domain Mapping but it just didn't seem to get throu. On another hosting account where i have the MU plugin it works like a charm. Now testing with a dummy domain this issue.

Shouldn't the MU one and new Domain Mapping work with the same ip? It kinda makes me wonder that the change from MU to new one isn't creating tables for new domains needed as it should.

Oh and i have this notification "IP not set by admin yet." on Tools --> Domain Mapping Witch is excatly the same as previously used with the MU one.

• aecnu

Greetings Niki,

Thank you for the additional info which is certainly appreciated.

Shouldn't the MU one and new Domain Mapping work with the same ip?

I d not quite understand what you mean here, that there are two sites on the same IP? And you are trying to use Domain Mapping on both?

My head is spinning trying to get wrapped around what you have going on there, and it appears this is going to come down to not having a dedicated IP as the Domain Mapping usage instructions clearly indicate should be:

For using A Record setups, you also need to ensure you have a dedicated IP. This IP would fall onto your multisite setup. i.e. when you enter the IP you see your multisite.

When entering your IP does this specific installation come up? Or does something else come up?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Niko

Hi Aecnu,

And as always thanks for looking into this problem.

I d not quite understand what you mean here, that there are two sites on the same IP? And you are trying to use Domain Mapping on both?

As in MU one and Domain Mapping plugin you need to enter the IP on the settings side (Pointing to the mainsite). On Mu one the static ip works just fine and with Domain Mapping from you guys the domains that were mapped earlier works also.

I think i didn't realice how important that dedicated ip is. As for now it would seem you only need the dedicated ip to be able to add the new domain. Witch is rather silly imo since it could work with both static & dedicated like MU one does. Or is there sumthing really diffrent that i should know?

I contacted Hostgator about this and they said the only need they would see fit to get a dedicated ip is for SSL usage. I'm in the impression that it would reguire sum major changes in Multisite enviroment?

Sorry for the late response to this. I have tried many of the plugins available that was granted upon membership and have gotten really frustrated about the lack of proper FAQ:s. Still learning..

• aecnu

Greetings Niki,

Thank you for the additional input and clarification.

Yepper the dedicated IP issue is a big one since the Dedicated IP is necessary for the whole thing to function correctly which part of this is based upon the integration with Pro Sites and the ability to auto-create accounts for end users which no other Domain Mapping plugin will do.

The IP issue came about not due to Host Gator but to the fact the world have run out of IP V4 allocations in which 92%+ of the Internet has adopted and one cannot cross over to IP V6 - which is mostly what the Chinese have done - but the rest of the world is for the most part is all on IP V4 and it appears that they do not want to switch to the vastly larger IP V6 system causing a global shortage of IP V4 addresses.

Therefore Host Gator claiming they only give them for SSL sites and even in my hosting business we are only issue them with VPS servers.

So this issue with the Dedicated IP's i.e. shortage has only come up in the last year, actually les then a year, and prior to that there was no issue. Now IP V4 addresses are a premium - what used to cost us Hosts 50 cents each for an IP V4 block is now in excess of $4 and higher for each IP and they can only be retained from those that have bought them before the crunch - see this article - there are even IP V4 scalpers like concert ticket scalpers since the crunch:
    http://blog.equinix.com/2011/08/who-will-buy-my-ip-addresses-two-blocks-for-a-million/

So bottom line, until the world ran out of IP V4 IP's this was never an issue.

It will be years before the world converts to IP V6 due to a lot of current hardware is not IP V6 aware.

But to date that Dedicated IP is crucial to Domain Mapping operating correctly.

Please advise if you intend to get the SSL Cert for the IP.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings Niki,

Thank you for your reply and I am trying to figure out where we are with your ticket as well as are you using MU Domain Mapping now or WPMU DEV Domain Mapping?

Thanks for asking about my hosting company which has two sites WPMU Hosting and VPS Servers Dedicated Servers and though not high priced, on the high performance end of things.

Please advise concerning your plugin decisions and what challenges remain to having the issues in this ticket resolved.

Cheers, Joe