Domain Mapping not working

WPMU: 3.0.1
Supporter: 2.2.2
Domain Mapping: 3.0

I have installed the plugins required. Added our servers DNS.

Created a dummy account with a dummy site: I made the DNS A changes required. I did this yesterday (Thursday 9-9). Waited for a while for changes to take effect with DNS.

When I visit the site, I only get the message "Apache is working normaly".

http://mylife.webprofession.com > http://infopatriots.com

Since the domain mapping is not working, I can not access the website's admin to remove the domain.

Note: would provide Error logs, but if only someone would direct me on psek cpanel that would be great.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Sorry you're having trouble with domain mapping. I think we can get it sorted though. :smiley:

How do you have domain mapping setup in Network Options? (Super Admin>Options)

Checkout the screenshot below for what I'm looking for. If you change the Administration mapping to "original domain" then you should be able to log into the admin section of that site.

As to the error message. I'm not exactly sure. It could be that the DNS settings haven't yet propogated, but normally it would be completed by now.

It also could be that you need to setup a "parked domain" in cPanel. I'm unfamiliar with pSek specifically, but there should be a section called "domains" and then an icon for parked domains.

Select this and enter your url: "infopatriots.com" and then "Add Domain."

Let us know if this works for ya. Thanks!

• webprof
    • Flash Drive

Masonjames, thanks again!

Checkout the screenshot below for what I'm looking for. If you change the Administration mapping to "original domain" then you should be able to log into the admin section of that site.

Perfect, the admin section has been solved.

It also could be that you need to setup a "parked domain" in cPanel. I'm unfamiliar with pSek specifically, but there should be a section called "domains" and then an icon for parked domains.

Assuming I'm a subscriber, so I have to make sure my domain is parked where ever it is it that it is being hosted at?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya!

Assuming I'm a subscriber, so I have to make sure my domain is parked where ever it is it that it is being hosted at?

If I'm understanding the question correctly, the answer is yes. You need to park the domain on the server where WordPress is hosted.

Once the DNS settings are correct, if you're on a shared server with cPanel, you'll need to set up a parked domain.

That means, on your pSek server providing the hosting for WordPress Multisite you'll have to create a parked domain for each of your "mapped domains".

There's quite a few tutorials on this:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=cpanel+parked+domain

Hope this helps! :smiley:

• webprof
    • Flash Drive

Thank you MasonJames

Ok, it took a while but the site is up and running since last night.

I slightly understand the explanation. But what has me confused is that the domain has to be parked in the same hosting account as our WPMU website. It does not make sense.

If I am a customer why does my domain have to be parked on the same server as the company providing the services.

Maybe I am over analyzing this, but will review the tutorial you are mentioning. Still have lots to learn.

• webprof
    • Flash Drive

Thank you MasonJames

Ok, it took a while but the site is up and running since last night.

I slightly understand the explanation. But what has me confused is that the domain has to be parked in the same hosting account as our WPMU website. It does not make sense.

If I am a customer why does my domain have to be parked on the same server as the company providing the services.

Maybe I am over analyzing this, but will review the tutorial you are mentioning. Still have lots to learn. I am trying to learn how to use this plugins from both the admin side as well as the customer side for better service.

• Aphrodite
    • The Reaper

I can say since I use WHM on my servers.

The custumer can buy his domain everywhere, and just has to point it on your DNS.

Then YOU have to say to YOUR server that this domain will be used. This is the park function. It could also work creating the confing to the registrar admin panel but it is... hum... welll...

The park function just adds a IN A entry in your server so that it can be pointed on the right IP :slight_smile:

So... it make sense !

You can use the Jason Cpanel API to autoconfig that on your site. So your client will be able to park the domain himself (without knowing it in fact, you can make a page (protected of course !) as an "admin panel" so your client can add his domain.

• webprof
    • Flash Drive

Ok so everytime one of my customers uses our domain mapping service, I would have to go to our cpanel and add it as a parked domain?

Sorry for all this questions. I guess, in addition to the installation/configuration instructions, information on how to actually use it would be nice..sorry for whining.

Note: my boss asked me to add this plugin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.