Domain Mapping Not Working

I believe I have gone through all the correct steps to map a domain. I created an A record on the client's registrar account, pointing to the multisite IP.

After a couple of hours, the client's domain went to a blank page.

I went to the subdomain dashboard and mapped it to the new domain. When I enter the subdomain URL in the browser, it does change to the new domain, but it doesn't show the contents of the site, it just shows a blank page.

Help?

The multisite is PopCred.net

The client's site is readyforit.popcred.net.

I have deleted the domain map because my client is trying to work on the site.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again :slight_smile:

When you enter the dedicated IP in your browser, does it resolve to your WordPress Multisite install?

If the IP does work correctly, then what happens when you run a tracert on the domain?

If you are not sure how to do that:

In Windows:

Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.

Or maybe its CMD now, its been a while since I used Windows. You should also be able to use the Run option and type in CMD.

Then ones the command prompt is open, enter the word tracert, followed by a space and the domain name.

The output should look something like my screenshot, except for the relevant domain you entered.

Let me know how it goes.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

The multisite is PopCred.net
    The client's site is readyforit.popcred.net.
    I have deleted the domain map because my client is trying to work on the site.

Did you edit that, didn't see them before :slight_smile:

When I enter your Multisites IP in I get:

216.172.185.8 (Taken from your domains ping)

404 from Hostgator.

I suspect you don't have a dedicated IP, or its not pointing to your multisite install?

Let me know.

• Moonworks
    • Code Wrangler

The IP shouldn't be the same, and testign that one, it is still going to the error page.

Do you have a dedicated or VPS server with Hostgator as, for some reason, they don't allow dedicated IP's on their shared hosting, and only give you a dedicated IP if you also either pay them for an SSL certificate or pay them to install one from a third party.

It may be worth going onto their live support, and then waiting an hour to talk to somebody in real-time about it, as if they have set you a dedictaed IP, it will be a new one.

Also be aware that it can be like a domain, and take some time to make its way through the internet to be seen by all.

• ProSapien
    • The Crimson Coder

Yea, I didn't think it should be the same.

Yesterday we talked to the company (in real time) and they said that upgrading to a business plan would give us a dedicated IP. It says we have a "private SSL & IP." We have a business package.

Thanks for the info. I'll talk to them and see what's up and get back to you.

Once that is resolved should I simply be able to go through the dashboard to set it up?

• ProSapien
    • The Crimson Coder

I'm back. New service. Static IP.

The IP (108.167.153.125) doesn't throw the 404 error. But it does go to the new blog signup page. Is that normal?

Anyway, when I go to the client subdomain site and enter the URL to be mapped, this is what happens:

Entering the subdomain does forward to the new URL. But the new URL (whether being forwarded or entered directly) leaves me with a parked page thing. (See image.)

I did the a-record stuff on Saturday, so I didn't anticipate a delay.

???

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Ya the IP going to the blog signup page is fine.

So if any domain has its A Record pointing to that IP then it should fall upon your WordPress installation. If it does not then there is something wrong or the DNS has not propagated yet, it depends on your provider as to how long it takes. Some providers quote up to 48 hours however I've never known it take that long in recent years.

I'd double check the A record is set correctly. Ping it and see where its currently going as well.

Let us know.

• ProSapien
    • The Crimson Coder

I forgot to create a new A Record with the NEW IP. Duh. I guess I'll keep testing it.

I assume that the propagation has nothing to do with the Tools>Domain Mapping setting, right?

Since I don't want my client to have down time, I want to wait until the propagation is over to add the custom domain to the plugin tool. I assume if I wait until it's done, the mapping will happen immediately once I add the custom domain. Is that correct?

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey thats excellent, glad its all sorted for you! :slight_smile:

To answer your other questions though:

I assume that the propagation has nothing to do with the Tools>Domain Mapping setting, right?

That is correct, All that this does it tells the plugin to map a domain when it points to your WordPress site. It handles nothing with the propagation.

Since I don't want my client to have down time, I want to wait until the propagation is over to add the custom domain to the plugin tool. I assume if I wait until it's done, the mapping will happen immediately once I add the custom domain. Is that correct?

Ya, thats also correct. Depending the settings you choose in the domain mapping Network Admin area you could still continue to use the website. Here are the three options:

Domain Entered By The User – If a user has mapped a domain, then with this option enabled you and your users are able to access the admin area with both usersite.yourdomain.com/wp-admin/ and userdomain.com/wp-admin/

Mapped Domain – With this one chosen you and your users will access their admin area through whichever domain is mapped. Don't worry if you use usersite.yourdomain.com/wp-admin/ then it will simply forward to userdomain.com/wp-admin/

Original Domain – As it says, the original domain. So that would be usersite.yourdomain.com/wp-admin/

Allowing the "Domain Entered By The User" option would let you still work on the site whilst the domain propagates. If you select Mapped Domain and add the domain, if it isn't propagating yet that backend just won't work because the plugin sends you to the domain which of course isn't ready yet.

Anyway its great to see you got it all sorted out now! :slight_smile:

Take care.

• ProSapien
    • The Crimson Coder

Good info.

I actually found I have to use the "original domain" mapping. If I use either of the other two, I cannot include the tutorial videos plugin. That option is less intuitive, but it does keep the dashboard available.

Thanks again.

• ProSapien
    • The Crimson Coder

For me the navigation tab to the videos simply disappears.

I don't remember where I saw the info, but as I was trying to figure out what happened to them, I found a notation that they were only available in multisite installs with original domain selected. I changed that selection back and the reappeared.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.