Domain Mapping not working correctly -- How do I test?

I have installed Domain Mapping Plugin on my multisite. I upgraded to a Business Account with Host Gator so I have a dedicated IP address.. I installed the Network with SUB-DIRECTORY settings.

I think I must be not understanding something here. I entered my dedicated IP address in the settings. I uploaded and installed the files correctly (added sunrise, etc.)

1. NOW, when using this plugin, does a user need to purchase their own separate domain name? And then enter this in their settings? OR can the just enter any domain name?

2. Does each user have to make A record and CNAME changes with their own domain account? Is that the only way? I just don't want to inconvenience the new users that aren't familiar with their hosting settings.

Any help is much appreciated. Can someone also test this for me?

Thank you all.

• Fullworks

1. NOW, when using this plugin, does a user need to purchase their own separate domain name? And then enter this in their settings? OR can the just enter any domain name?

Yes they have to own a domain name, otherwise what domain would they map?

2. Does each user have to make A record and CNAME changes with their own domain account? Is that the only way? I just don't want to inconvenience the new users that aren't familiar with their hosting settings.

Just point their A record (as you are are sub-directory) to your IP address.
    What we do is, if users don't know what they are doing, is log in to their domain registrar accounts (with their permission) and set it up for them.

• aristath

Hey there @modcity, I hope you're well today!

"Do I have to add a parked or addon domain on MY hosting account?"

If you're using your own dedicated IP, then you shouldn't have to add the domain in your account.

You can test this by adding some domains in your hosts file (see here for the location of this file) and then assigning these domains to a test site in your installation. Just make sure you later remove the test site from your installation AND the entries you made to your hosts file.

I am marking this issue as resolved.
    If however you need any further assistance then don't hesitate to reopen it and post an update. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Paul Barthmaier

Hi there,

To make things as easy for you, have your clients take care of entering their domain into Domain Mapping, but they must understand that they need to go to their host and change the DNS setting so that their A record points to your IP, not theirs. They should also have a CNAME for their www. with the value being their naked domain.

If they have a problem doing the above and you agree to host their domain, then use a parked domain on your multisite.

Hope this helps! Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
    Paul

Want to change Q&A background color? Ask Patrick!

• modcity

Thanks for all your replies. I tried 2 different domain mapping processes:

1. I parked a domain on my Hostgator account I bought from GoDaddy and it worked immediately. I didn't have to make any other changes to its DNS or A records. So this way works well.

....BUT I had to "do all the work"... it was easy but what you've been telling me is that I shouldn't have to do modifications on my end.

SO...

2. Using another domain I had.... I DID NOT Park this Domain to my account. Instead, I changed BOTH the DNS settings to mine...and also changed the A record so it points to my Dedicated IP address.

I am still waiting for it to propagate.......at least that's what I hope. It has been at least an hour or so.

Am I doing this right? These are the basic settings I used on the GoDaddy side:

hostname: @
    IP: (my ip)

Should I just wait longer?

Do I need to change the DNS? OR just the IP address?

Thanks again for both of your help.

• Paul Barthmaier

Hi there,

You should be fine to just wait for propagation. It's true that #1 is much easier, but down the line, it'll be nicer to understand how #2 works so you can sell the facility, but your clients do their own leg work. And then you won't have to bother with MX records and email stuff!

Hope this helps! Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
    Paul

Locked yourself in EasyBlogging? Relax: http://goo.gl/R3gJr

• modcity

Hi again,

Okay so it has not worked. I am using a .co domain from Godaddy. (this was just a domain i bought awhile ago not being used.

1. Is .co okay to test?

2. What settings do I need to change on the Godaddy side? The DNS ?? THe A Record?? BOTH???

This is what I did:

I changed the DNS to my Hostgator DNS settings.
    I changed the A record to my dedicated IP address.
    I mapped to domain to one of my sub-stores.

Is this correct? Can someone please provide a detailed example of my setup? I am using sub-directory multisite.

(When I park the domain on my Hostgator account AND change the DNS and IP...it works just fine. I have been told I shouldn't have to do this each time)

Thanks for your help.

• Paul Barthmaier

HI there,

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with this. Have you seen the tutorial that was written a few years ago? It may be useful for your to look at it from this perspective. There is also a video tutorial in there that might be helpful if you are more of a visual learner, like me. Have a look at these and let's see if you can't sort things that way. If still stuck, we'll connect again to go thru each step. Sound good?

Cheers,
    Paul

Plugin Trouble? Follow the chart: http://marker.to/K0G5yg

• modcity

Hi Paul,

Thanks for responding. I got it to work now. This issue was that my Dedicated IP was not setup yet. Hostgator requires you to fill out an online form for the IP and SSL.

One more question ----->

Is there a way to map someones SUB DOMAIN to a DIRECTORY setup. (i.e.---->

store.userssite.com ---------------------> modcityfurnishings.com/userssite/

I have a SUB DIRECTORY multisite network.

Thanks for all your help and patience.

Kind Regards