domain mapping on a shared hosting account

I have set domain mapping up a couple times on vps with a dedicated IP but wondering if its possible to set it up on shared hosting with a shared IP.

AKA i know i can point the sub domain to the domain but can i create an a record to point to the shared IP and have it work?

thanks
BTW i love the redesign - i guess its been a while since i was here :wink:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings thinkmarketact,

Thank you for your feedback regarding the new design of the WPMU Dev site, it is greatly appreciated.

I have set domain mapping up a couple times on vps with a dedicated IP but wondering if its possible to set it up on shared hosting with a shared IP.

AKA i know i can point the sub domain to the domain but can i create an a record to point to the shared IP and have it work?

It is not impossible but highly unlikely that it will work depending on how many other hosts are on the IP and the position of your domain in the servers httpd.conf file or vhost.conf file.

Three or four domains on the IP it may just work, more then that it is very unlikely due to the DNS call to the ip timing out when not answered.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.